Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long should you hang for?

How long should you hang for?

Hi all, Am a bit of a novice and was wondering how long you should hang your carcass for and where to do this as the wife would probably have something to say if i did it in the kitchen!

If I shoot a beast whilst he or she is at rest, and its in good condition, I've butchered the next day if convenient. In the summer if you've no larder you don't want it hanging around for long. The longer you hand it the "gamier" it gets, but it also will allow any lactic acid to clear from the muscle tissue. This is if the animal was alarmed . Thats what I always believed, and what I practice.
    As luck would have it I have a larder so can be lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by K333ROE View Post
    If I shoot a beast whilst he or she is at rest, and its in good condition, I've butchered the next day if convenient. In the summer if you've no larder you don't want it hanging around for long. The longer you hand it the "gamier" it gets, but it also will allow any lactic acid to clear from the muscle tissue. This is if the animal was alarmed . Thats what I always believed, and what I practice.
    As luck would have it I have a larder so can be lazy.
    I've never noticed the difference whither it is alarmed or what ever ,hang it if you can, if it isn't possible to hang butcher it bag it and freeze it does the same job.

.?
    Last edited by 6pointer; 29-05-2011 at 21:50.

When Rosemary Shrager, the chef, was at Amhuinnsuidhe she used to hang the venison for about 2 days. I'd say if that was good enough for her then it would probably be good enough for most of us.

My current butcher has a cold room and he hangs them for 2 weeks but I've no idea if it makes any difference.

I suspect there is more variation from beast to beast than there is variation due to how the meat is treated.

Be careful not to freeze too quickly, otherewise you will get a condition called cold shortening, this makes the meat a lot tougher, the general rule is 10 hours at 10 oc, see below:-

Cold shortening is the result of the rapid chilling of carcasses immediately after slaughter, before the glycogen in the muscle has been converted to lactic acid. With glycogen still present as an energy source, the cold temperature induces an irreversible contraction of the muscle (i.e., the actin and myosin filaments shorten). Cold shortening causes meat to be as much as five times tougher...
    Last edited by Blue400; 22-05-2011 at 18:54.

Good thread - learn't something new today - thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by johnnythefox70 View Post
    Hi all, Am a bit of a novice and was wondering how long you should hang your carcass for and where to do this as the wife would probably have something to say if i did it in the kitchen!
    how long may depend on your neighbours, in my case it was my wife and daughter Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00070-20101113-1504 [800x600].jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	6926
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Totally agreed, good thead.
    Kennyc, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has given my childrens' swing a second use! I did get a bit of an earfull though from the long haired general!!

atb

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    how long may depend on your neighbours, in my case it was my wife and daughter Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00070-20101113-1504 [800x600].jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	6926
    Its all kind of swing and roundabouts get the grass cut .