A slightly belated birthday buck

Well after two failed attempts to bag a buck for my birthday in the past week (once with john and once else where) I finally got lucky today.

It wasn't that promising a start as just as i arrived at johns the winds that were forecast and had been all to present last night picked up out of nowhere. With a quick change of plans we headed off to a bit of ground closer to johns that would be a little more sheltered than was planned.

We arrived at the ground and left the truck and proceeded to stalk an area where john had seen a couple of bucks in the last week. The plan was to have a look around this patch to see if anything showed and if not head to a part of the estate where john had had a tip off of a buck that had been seen two days in a row by someone foxing.

Anyway the initial stalk was unfruitful despite it looking like a place that if i were a deer I would want to be but we did spot a fox that was about as spooked as us as it bolted about 15 yards away. However it was getting towards the time the buck had been seen so we headed over to the high seat glassing areas as we went to no avail. We were in the high seat for 5.40 as that was around the time the buck had been seen and sat in wait. As time slowly passed we were both starting to doubt the odds of a buck showing as the weather just didn't see right. It was about 6.20 when all of a sudden there was a flash of redish brown moving fast towards us from the wood. Both quickly realising it was a buck I got ready to make the shot when the chance presented. The buck made his way towards us fairly fast presenting a few potential shots as he did so but I opted not to take them as they were a little far and john was sure he was heading our way anyway. Buck fever started to build and I could tell it was only going to get worse so when the buck stopped broad side at about 110 yards I took a couple of last breaths to try and steady myself, lined up the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger. A nice shot reaction followed and I quickly reloaded not giving john a chance for the prompt and the buck fell about 10-20 yards from where he was shot. At this point my heart was racing and I was over the moon to have bagged my birthday buck even if he was 5 days late. He's a nice little six pointer and im boiling down the skull as we speak and will post some pics of the head when i've pressure washed him.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

George

Last edited:
nice going george well chuffed for you,breeze is nearly looking at the camera as well so thats a bonus too,atb wayne

IMG_0054.jpg

Thanks everyone. Here is a picture of the boiled out head its soaking and just needs a spot of bleach to sort it out when i can source some. Its my first 6 pointer and a nice way for me to kick off the buck season.

George

Last edited:
That was a quick turn around george.
I'm pleased it came good this morning, i really was worried with that cold wind.
I will pull the video and post it later on dont think it needs much editing (perhaps shortening) and enough backstop for anyone LOL.

Congratulations George and Happy Birthday.

Looking forward to see the vid :cool:

Post up a pic when you've finished the head!

That was a quick turn around george.
I'm pleased it came good this morning, i really was worried with that cold wind.
I will pull the video and post it later on dont think it needs much editing (perhaps shortening) and enough backstop for anyone LOL.

Well done John, another happy customer! As for the backstop, you know how it works... you and George will have to let the SD kangaroo court be the judge of that! ;) :lol:

Alex

well done George, got yourself a nice buck there and on video too!!,,,,oh and good back stop:D

Could not of stood any better for you George.. Nicely taken and a real birthday treat to yourself , with a video to look back on along with the head
It don't get any better than that
ATB

Cheers for all the comments. Much appreciated just getting ready to mount it to a plaque.

IMG_0063.jpg

George

Last edited:
Back