Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe deer- What are they up to?

Roe deer- What are they up to?

Hi,

I have only had stalking permission since March 2010, its a small bit of grassland with treelined hedges and the nearest wood is about 3/4 mile away. I got chatting to the neighbouring farmer who also does a little bit and he was worried because he had not seen deer for about 2-3 weeks now. I explained that it could be that the does are laid up giving birth and are not straying too far from their young and that the bucks are just keeping in the woods where the new shoots are coming out and getting ready for the rut.

What do you think? Since I started I have shot 1 buck and 3 doe?

The strong breeze we've had for the last few weeks doesn't help matters. There's also a lot of rape around here this year, which provides plenty of good cover for deer.

Depends on the size of your 'small bit of grassland'. A buck and three does from a small patch could well have cleaned out the resident population.

.?
    Last edited by 6pointer; 29-05-2011 at 21:44.

The Roe deer do seem to have done their vanishing act a little sooner this year but they'll show up again soon enough !!

The wind has been terrible for most of May , and growth in the woods will keep them in.

The bucks up at Horsham are a bit of a hardier bunch

Up at Malcs place we saw a good few over the weekend taking one saturday and three out of the six seen in just over two hours Sunday

Two of the three were taken in the rain we had

The buck i took was alongside a doe and fawn and there were plenty of does and fawns out..

Im waiting for Trev to do the write up as my writing skills could not possibly do it the justice it deserves

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    There is a lot of rape round this area to but thats just glasgows normal spring time rush. But i iam sure the blue lights and sirens scare the deer into the cover.
    its not rape if you shout "suprise"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghurka View Post
    Hi,

I have only had stalking permission since March 2010, its a small bit of grassland with treelined hedges and the nearest wood is about 3/4 mile away. I got chatting to the neighbouring farmer who also does a little bit and he was worried because he had not seen deer for about 2-3 weeks now. I explained that it could be that the does are laid up giving birth and are not straying too far from their young and that the bucks are just keeping in the woods where the new shoots are coming out and getting ready for the rut.

What do you think? Since I started I have shot 1 buck and 3 doe?
    Been said already, rape fields, nursing does and the strong cold winds coinciding with the moult. it must be like been out in a T shirt after leaving the wooly jumper in the car.

Even if by some quirk of fate you have shot all of the resident Roe on your land that will just cause a vaccuum which will be filled soon enough......be patient.