Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which rifle(again)

which rifle(again)

hi folks, im in the process of searching for my first deer rifle and i have about 1200 to spend give or take and i just wondered what youd spend your hard earned on, ive already got the scope safely tucked away in the form of a swarovski z6 2.5-15x44 but i do need everything else. any advice is appreciated, cheers

Sako Finnlight and never look back. Calibre? - 7mm08.

Tom

thanks for the suggestion tom, all will be considered. i do admit after reading about the 7mm08 i did think about it but it ammunition seems a bit scarce over this way as ill be doing a small amount of range work aswell i need something that i can find ammunition for both purposes in plentifull supply. the dealer that i will be using has a very nice sako 75 deluxe in with a swarovski scope on that has fired less than 100 rounds for 1400 quid but it just seems to get confusing with the amount of choice available. im trying to get to shoot a range of different rifles and calibres over the next few weeks before deciding........theres just soooooo much haha

Steer clear of the American brands (my opinion only, never had experience of them but plenty slate them) and for the money your spending, second hand rifles. You won't go wrong with a new Sako or Tikka, if your thinking of using a moderator, look for one of the newer lightweight alloy versions. Perhaps look at a .308 if your wanting good availability of ammo and range work as well.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Steer clear of the American brands (my opinion only, never had experience of them but plenty slate them) and for the money your spending, second hand rifles. You won't go wrong with a new Sako or Tikka, if your thinking of using a moderator, look for one of the newer lightweight alloy versions. Perhaps look at a .308 if your wanting good availability of ammo and range work as well.

Tom
    Just Remington! Ruger is a solid rifle but I've never had sterling accuracy. Savages are also rugged and accurate to boot. ~Muir

thanks for the input guys, the dealer had a wide choice in stock but the ones i seemed to like the feel of the most(bearing in mind ive not got a clue yet ) were the tikka t3 lite, the sako 85 and a sauer 202, ill check the savages next time im in the shop muir, i just wish i could buy everything, haha, suppose i could always increase the funds if need be, ive got the ability to push it up to 2000 if need be as i believe in buying right rather than buying twice. i dont suppose either of you two chaps has any idea which .22lr bolt action would be a good purchase as i do need one of these aswell for a bit of bunny work, was thinking of maybe a browing t-bolt? cheers

I have a Sako 85 synthetic stainless. Great rifle. The rifle can shoot better than I can and the build quality is very good. I'd recommend them to anyone.

My only other centrefire (before the Sake) was a Ruger M77. Well built, reliable, and I took plenty of foxes and deer with it. The rifle was second hand when I bought it and you could tell that it had done plenty of work in it's previous life.

Of the two I'd stick with the Sako. But I would be happy with another Ruger.

DC

As far as the .22LR goes. I bought a BRNO, again second hand for 50 and stuck a 30 4x32 scope on top. It's an ideal little tool and a good mate (probably read this from the wings of the guest area) will be nodding. It gets bashed around in the motor when we're out and I don't worry too much about that. Thousands of rounds through it and still going strong!

DC

thanks DC, the .22 sounds like an ideal tool then, well worth looking into. just as a matter of interest what are the main differences between the tikka and the sako......ie quality and accuracy etc, i know ill not get the best of it for a long time and maybe never will but its always good to have a nice starting point. cheers

I held both the Tikka T3 and the Sako 85 and the sako just feels better. Its the little things really:

The bolt feels better, more positive on the Sako. The magazine is steel, and holds another round, the trigger guard is steel (not plastic). Generally the build and quality seems to be a higher standard on the Sako.

I reload my own rounds in .270 and the Sako is not fussy - I can vary the bullet manufacturer (maintaining the bullet and powder weights) with no noticable impact change.

There is a sizeable difference in price, and I've never heard a Tikka owner wish they'd bought otherwise. But my preference wis the Sako. Similar to you I thought buy once, buy right.

Good luck with it all. I'd advise to take your time - potentially it'll be with you for many years to come!

DC