Ruger 10/22 mods

Orion

After stripping my trusty old 10/22 rabbit gun to make the auto bolt release modification my thoughts have now turned to finally getting round to sorting the trigger out.

Anyone know of where I can get a decent replacement trigger or hammer - whichever produces the best result?

Any other worthwhile modifications to do? (Muir?)

No need for the obvious, " change it for a CZ" etc. :D It's done me well to date and I intend keeping it!

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22's are the original gun tinkerer's dream. You can trinketize it almost not stop. For triggers and hammers, it's usually good to buy them in a pair. Midway sells Volquartzen pairs for a reasonable price. The entire trigger group is expensive tho, and I wouldn't do it unless your barrel is truly accurate and not in need of replacement. Othewise it might cascade into a new barrel. If your 10/22 is the carbine version, with the barrel band, you might consider removing the part of the band that goes over the barrel and filing it down to where it just leaves the shoulders that rest on the upper edge of the stock. It leaves the band in two pieces but they will grasp the wood and doesn't leave a "stripped" look that removing the band entirely does. What it does do is improve grouping. In conjunction with this, you can slip a very thin sheet of shim (plastic, brass) under the barrel locking wedge and it often increases accuracy again. Don't be tempted to alter any springs in the firing group for a lighter trigger pull. It is does no good.

I have a full blown beast of a custom with a Green Mountain 1-18" twist fluted heavy barrel, volquartzen trigger group, and heavy thumb-hole bench stock. I used it for testing ammunition and a few prairiedogs once in a while. It's too ungainly for general hunting.

I also have three of the old "Deluxe" 10/22's with checkered stocks and no barrel band. They are old and slick shooters and have decent triggers as well. Very handy. I relegated one to my son and another to my daughter, keeping one for myself. They are fine little rifles.~Muir

Last edited:
I also have three of the old "Deluxe" 10/22's with checkered stocks and no barrel band.

That's the one I've got. Thanks for the info. I'll maybe go for the Volquartson trigger/hammer deal and leave it at that - for the moment! :D

Excellent! These are the way Ruger should have made these rifles! If you have one of the deluxe, I'm surprised it doesn't have a decent trigger. The Volquartzen trigger and hammer assembly is good, but not bolt-gun grade so if your trigger is manageable (try a new factory trigger to see how bad they've gotten) you might want to just clean it up and love it a bit.

On a related note, the WALMART retail chain here in the US offers a 20" barreled rifle version of the 10/22 without the barrel band, especially made for their stores. JAYB of this site has one. I did a trigger job on it and it is a seriously accurate rifle... when he remembers how to work it.:p~Muir

Orion/Muir
I had a 'drop in' replacement to lighten the trigger pull (which was just over 7Lbs) which was done by Addenbourne in Witney. I think it cost me £35, a chat and a Coffee for me and mrs techman was thrown in.
Some time back I mentioned on this site that my 10/22 did not like CCI Stingers. Muir suggested that I took off the barrel band. This was left off when the work was done and it now does indeed like the stingers and the grouping has improved with other amunition.

I don't know as much about the gun as muir but South yorkshire shooting supplies sell parts good prices good service, tell him what you want and he'll sell you what you need and not more. Really Good service

I sent mine to him and he fitted new barrel, £90 for a 12.5" barrel, so pointable from a vehicle. And said it was jamming, he only charged for an extractor. Even though I'd said I was happy to replace the springs and everything. Similar story when I sent my head keepers off to him.

Muir - do they shoot better without the band? or is it better to file the band away? I don't mind how it looks

Last edited:
I don't know as much about the gun as muir but South yorkshire shooting supplies sell parts good prices good service, tell him what you want and he'll sell you what you need and not more. Really Good service

I sent mine to him and he fitted new barrel, £90 for a 12.5" barrel, so pointable from a vehicle. And said it was jamming, he only charged for an extractor. Even though I'd said I was happy to replace the springs and everything. Similar story when I sent my head keepers off to him.

Muir - do they shoot better without the band? or is it better to file the band away? I don't mind how it looks

If you don't care about the looks, pitch the thing. For those who want a more subtle alteration, the filing the band off is a nice touch.

About jamming. Some times this is caused by the magazine not operating properly and as a reminder, these 10/22 magazines can be disassembled with an allen wrench, washed thoroughly with dish detergent, and reassembled after giving the spindle a light lube with silicon spray or a sparse drop of oil. During reassembly, just wind the hex plate on the end until you get the magazine tension you want. ~Muir

Back