Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you guys trian to be better shots?

How do you guys trian to be better shots?

I have been reading on this forum about custom rifles and how to get more accuracy out of this rifle or that rifle but no one seams to talk about the best way to get better shots and that is fitness. I am not talking about triathlons but do any of you have a exercise program that you have found helps?

Why spend Łk? On a rifle when exercise can do wonders to a stalker with a good deer rifle.

I stopped smoking, that helps
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I couldn't agree more.
    I took a friend out the other day. We saw two good buck chasing each other and had to work quite hard to get in to a position where we could take a decent safe shot. He's not the fittest of lads and when it was time to take the shot he was still panting heavily. He probably should have taken the shot, but he did and luckily, missed completely. I should add, it wasn't a hard shot either, broadside at about 60-70 yards...

the only thing i could put it down to was his fitness levels.

You've really lost me here .
    1.Better shots .
    2.Triathlons .
    3.Fitness .

1.Better shot is practice in different positions IE off sticks bipods ,fence post trees etc.

2.Yes 20 years ago ,or dragging a stag off a scottish mountain with a sssi. Where you cannot use mechanical transportation

3. Every time your out a "walk" with the rifle ,shoot something even bettering the sack nothing like a bit of load carrying to let you know your heart is still working.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I stopped smoking, that helps
    Definately hard to hold the rifle steady when you're coughing.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    You've really lost me here .
    1.Better shots .
    2.Triathlons .
    3.Fitness .

1.Better shot is practice in different positions IE off sticks bipods ,fence post trees etc.

2.Yes 20 years ago ,or dragging a stag off a scottish mountain with a sssi. Where you cannot use mechanical transportation

3. Every time your out a "walk" with the rifle ,shoot something even bettering the sack nothing like a bit of load carrying to let you know your heart is still working.
    i was trying to ask in the OP if any one had advise as to what can help. the fitter you are the better you can hold your out breath and such. I cant see how my OP can be that confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    I have been reading on this forum about custom rifles and how to get more accuracy out of this rifle or that rifle but no one seams to talk about the best way to get better shots and that is fitness.......
    Jim. Fitness is one important aspect. Good ammunition, good optics, practice and competition help too. Rgds JCS

SD Regular
    Triathlons....not sure swimming with my rifle will make it - or me - any more accurate. I'm not prone to swimming rivers or lakes to get on a stalk. I'm not known for shooting from a push bike either. Oooh, hang on though - anyone know where I can get a good rifle rest to attach to my handlebars (for a mountain bike obviously)? Do you have to let the carcass sit on the saddle on the way home???!!

I had a friend one who used to train hard for cheese rolling comps - would that count?

In all seriousness, I think you raise a valid point. Good technique and good fitness will, along with good eyesight, will do you as much for accuracy as good glass and an accurate (i.e. not necessarily expensive) rifle. Put them all together and you'll be a wizard. Is custom rifle building all about accuracy? Not in my mind - a rifle should be aesthetically pleasing too.

JMHO you understand
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Simjim, you do raise a valid point. But your OP ties this up with an implied criticism of custom rifles and the guys who shoot them - ie I am a fat b#stard and need a custom rifle to compensate.

However, there is no doubt that a fitness regime based on keeping the weight down and improving the old cardio vascular system would benefit all of us. Combine this with a bit of practise of our shooting technique and you never know, some may even manage to shoot the odd deer.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Being fit certainly helps, but I think practise is probably more important being able to shoot from any and all positions
    standing, kneeling prone with bipod without bipod its easy enough to produce perfect shots when you are comfortable and set up for them not so easy when you have a rock sticking in your ribs or shooting down a steep slope hanging on by your toes