Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Rifle

Custom Rifle

Would be interested to know how many members who earn a living from stalking use a custom built rifle.

I have a custom .20TAC by Steve Bowers for fox and vermin work , should have had it 20 years ago

Not me. I use a SSG69 which must be nearly 30 yrs old,and still knocks out 1/2 inch groups all day long with factory ammo

I tend not to spend big on rifles and go with a relativly standard setup, I have my deer rifle used by clients my wife and my 17 year old daughter, a custom would difficult to do this with. I have a realy tall danish client who had a problem with his Blazer and borrowed my T3 and now refuses to brig his rifle over with his as it's too much hassle, if I had a custome there is no way he would be able to use it (he has spagetti arms).

I also look at my rifles as tools (don't get me wrong I look after them) but they do get bashed and dinged, not a good thing to be doing to a nice piece of wood,

just my thoughts. I do however know pro stalkers who have full custom rifles worth úthousands and they work very well for them.

AM

Expensive custom rifles are very nice to look at and shoot very well, but I'd be too afraid to use (or abuse!) it as a working tool. A decent factory rifle is generally more accurate than the user in a normal stalking situation anyway!
    I would think that a stainless synthetic factory rifle is the choice of most. I have a pair of Sako 75's.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Expensive custom rifles are very nice to look at and shoot very well, but I'd be too afraid to use (or abuse!) it as a working tool. A decent factory rifle is generally more accurate than the user in a normal stalking situation anyway!
    I would think that a stainless synthetic factory rifle is the choice of most. I have a pair of Sako 75's.
    MS
    Snap

Established Poster
    wouldnt mind doin a bit of stalking never mind own a custom built rifle ha ha good luck guys

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    But if the rifle shoots 1" at 100yards thats 2" at 200yards etc if you add 1" to that due to user error then that is 4" at 200yards if the rifle shot .1" at 100yard then thats 1.1" at 100yards you see where this is going, more accurate rifle better shot

Quote Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
    But if the rifle shoots 1" at 100yards thats 2" at 200yards etc if you add 1" to that due to user error then that is 4" at 200yards if the rifle shot .1" at 100yard then thats 1.1" at 100yards you see where this is going, more accurate rifle better shot
    My factory sakos will both shoot less than 1" groups with home loads which means less than 2" at 200m! It is far more likely that any miss will be caused by me and not the rifle! And who's to say the error I put in will not improve on the slight error caused by the rifle. I don't think several thousands of pounds worth of rifle will affect my statistics too much!
    MS

Ive got a thirteen year old Rem 700 that still shoots less than inch groups with home loads. I just carnt bring my self to get rid of it. I think when it dose die I will have it re barreled and worked on.