Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibre debate Still cant decide?

Calibre debate Still cant decide?

Gents,

I apologise in advance for bringing this up YET AGAIN, but, I have trawled this site to try and help for answers and there are just so many opinions it gets worse the deeper you look!

So hopefully with maybe a more specific description of what Ill be up to will help narrow down the age old which calibre decision.

Here goes.

Currently have 243 which I use primarily for Roe and Foxing and happy with.

Now, as time goes by & with the generosity of others, I m finding more opportunities at stalking Red deer with a potentially a new piece of ground in the pipeline.

I have used the 243 without any problems so far on some Hinds, but this year Ive been invited up for the Stags and I also want to book a day for Sika too so for this Im looking for a larger calibre. Yes the .243 with correct shot placement etc will suffice but Im looking for something that can handle the larger bullet and greater sectional density etc

It will be either a .270 or .308, nothing else.

I appreciate there are many other suitable calibres out there but Im sticking with one out of the two above.

Some reasons being the factory ammo availability locally, choice of rifles and the fact I dont reload etc.

I wont be shooting in France so having a military derivative calibre isnt a problem

The ground is dare I say it typical Scottish highland hill rising above a large amount of private forestry block on the lower slopes with wide burn side glides running through it.
    There are also some lovely low level mixed woodlands and open fields which gives quite a variety really.

There are a few Roe around on the lower ground and in the various blocks too will also be on the cards however, primarily its the Reds we will be after.

I know any one of the two calibres will do but from the above, but what would you experienced guys be looking as the better of the two calibres for such a varied and mixed ground?

At the moment, Im leaning towards applying for a .270, a few guys I know swear by them but thought Id ask here to keep my options open.

So, if youre up for it, let me have any Pros and / or Cons of either calibre you feel pertinent to the above described ground and help me choose

Ma heids bursting now!

Cheers for reading if youre still awake

Rigboot

The 270 has been the prefered option for this sort of Scottish stalking for the past 40 years. There is good reason for this.

I would go with the 270 every time for what you describe, it is flat shooting and hard hitting. I would prefer to use 140gr ammo over 130gr, that might require you to reload your own.

In truth, either will do perfectly well, but if the terrain is more open, I would go 270.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Gents, It will be either a .270 or .308, nothing else.
    An easy choice for me, definitely the .270 Win
    Use 140gr or 150gr for flatter trajectory and better BC than the equivalent 155g or 165gr .308...
    The .270 has been the archetypal open country deer calibre for decades.

But try one first, some dont like the kick.

If you've narrowed it down to .270 win or .308 win to compliment your .243, I would go for the .270 that way you have one long action calibre and one short action.

The .243/.270 combo is a classic with good reason.

If you haven't finally decided then get a .30-'06 springfield, the .308 bullet and the .270 case length, best of both worlds.

Again the .243/.30-'06 is a classic combo that I could happily manage with.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    .....Again the .243/.30-'06 is a classic combo that I could happily manage with.

JC
    I tried to stay within "brief", but to be fair, JC makes a very good point. With a 243 and a 30/06 there is nothing in Europe, never mind the UK, that can't be covered. I actually find the 30/06 very pleasant to shoot and I think it has a more muted muzzle blast than the 270.

My own 2 rifle combo is a 260 and a 30/06, but we don't have Roe here.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I would prefer to use 140gr ammo over 130gr, that might require you to reload your own.
    out of interest why 140 step up from 130 rather than the 150?

I like the 270 as well, but then have never shot the 308.
    I almost looked at a 30-06 but as I have 400 once fired brass in 270 it was a bit of a no brainer!!

put simply, in 270 one brand factory loads in 130 and 150 grain require no change of zero. zero 1" above the bull at 100 yds and shoot what you point at out to 250+ yds.
    its a point and shoot, no thinking, no turret twiddling stalking tool

the 308 is nothing like as flat

I would prefer the boring 308.
    7-08 is a great round as is the 338 fed, 308 is just inbetween.
    308 works well with shorter barrels, meaning you'll be able to
    have a much shorter handier and lighter rifle...if you want.
    I think the 308 is not quite as finicky in accuracy and has a huge
    selection of cartridges also for practice.
    If you reload, less powder, cheaper components, better selection.
    Up to 165gr bullets the 30-06 won't give any or much advantage over a 308.

Just had a look on the federal site.
    270 130gr BT zeroed at 200 drops 6.5" at 300
    308 150gr BT zeroed at 200 drops 7.8" at 300

So that's what it is all about 1.3" difference at 300yds.

edi
    Last edited by ejg; 25-05-2011 at 08:35.

I would go for the 0.270, they do kick a bit but a moderator tames that although making it heavier to carry on the hill.You could pick up a bargain at the moment as they seem to be out of fashion according to my local gun dealer, he cant sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by 65SWED View Post
    I would go for the 0.270, they do kick a bit but a moderator tames that although making it heavier to carry on the hill.You could pick up a bargain at the moment as they seem to be out of fashion according to my local gun dealer, he cant sell them.
    where!?
    I am looking for one!