Practie with an air rifle

Dovebob

All,

The recent thread about improving our shooting made me think about getting more practice of sticks and from a sitting position.

I do practice with an air rifle, but its a Sharp Innova (pump up) and takes a bit of work to pump. My arm starts to ache after a few shots.

I've been thinking of swapping it but don't know much about air guns. A spring powered one would seem an obvious choice (cheap and no pumping) but I've heard there's a nack to shooting these. I am wondering if this might not be good practice for a centre fire.

The pre-charged ones seem good but are expensive.

I'd be grateful for any tips on practicing with an airgun to improve centrefire shooting. I'd also be grateful for a recommendation of what airgun might be suitable. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it - ideally what I can get for the Sharp with a small top up. A total of maybe £150 max.

Cheers,

Bob

Full power lightweight springers are 'hold sensitive' - they react differently to different holds. The heavier and lower powered you go, the easier to shoot. Something like a BSA Meteor would be ideal for what you want I think.

James

I have had the same thought; unfortunately as salukiwhippet says springers require a consistent hold to shoot accurately and react badly to being rested on sticks or a bipod. So good for freehand practice, but probably not ideal for practicising shooting off sticks. Trouble is PCPs are pricey as you mention... cheaper to get a .22 rimfire if you have somewhere you can practice with it.
Neal

Agree, if you want to go PCP, something like a Crossman RatCatcher which uses capsules as a power source may be the best route, saves all the hassle of compressed gas cylinders/pumps for a PCP. Also cheap, light and relatively quiet and quite accurate if the experience I have had with one is reproducable

D

I have had the same thought; unfortunately as salukiwhippet says springers require a consistent hold to shoot accurately and react badly to being rested on sticks or a bipod. So good for freehand practice, but probably not ideal for practicising shooting off sticks. Trouble is PCPs are pricey as you mention... cheaper to get a .22 rimfire if you have somewhere you can practice with it.
Neal

+1
I don't think you would gain anything by using an air rifle. A rim fire would be about ok at normal stalking distances

Db.
The best advice I was given was to use a rifle as near as possible in construction and weight as the full bore so you get the same characteristics off the sticks. :)

I don't think you would gain anything by using an air rifle. A rim fire would be about ok at normal stalking distances

You will gain nothing more with a rimfire than an air rifle other than a few extra metres range and practising at 40m is as useful as 140m, you just aim for tighter groups. If it is an option though I would go for a rimfire.

Springers are a no no as mentioned they react badly to being directly on a hard surface as a rest (such as sticks). I have a Webley Raider PCP for exactly the reason you are describing as I wanted to use in my (suburban) garden, you should be able to pick one up for £150 SH no problem. They're a good option for suburban practice.

not sure if I agree on it being of use practising with a gun of totally differing character.
I bought a PCP (Falcon FN19) with a pump and more ammo than I know what to do with for £300. Pump alone is £150 new.
it is so light and recoiless I can shoot without sticks.

I think it would make more sense to find some ground and use whatever rifle you are hoping to improve your shooting with. buy a lot of ammo for the rifle you have with the budget you have for a new air rifle.

Get a spring powered rifle with a 4x32 scope and use it free hand. Yes they can be hold sensitive, but that just encourages consistency. It's not vital that your practice rifle has similar characteristics to your stalking rifle, but a similar balance is nice to have; just learn to shoot your practice rifle well, and it will have benefit to your shooting in general. If it's practice off the sticks you need specifically, then a rim fire is the way to go because, as stated, spring powered rifles don't do well off sticks; "terribly" is a better way to put it!
Steer clear of the cheap Chinese rifles, go instead for a second hand Webley Vulcan, Weirauch or a BSA Meteor/Supersport.

Thanks for the advice on this - much appreciated.

I have a rimfire rifle, but don't have anywhere to practice with it regularly.

I've put the Innova up for sale on BBS Airguns and will see if I can get a cheap PCP to practice with.

Cheers,

Bob

hi dovebob why dont you come up to were i work and pratice and i can help you anyway possable of sticks or even from prone to sitting

dweeb

Dweeb,

I'll be up to see you shortly with the rimfire and centrefire rifles. Your facility is a godsend to me as I don't have any local ground to zero over. I wish I had the time to get over more often, hence the need for a PCP to practice with.

See you soon.

Cheers,

Bob

I regularly practice consistant trigger breaking with the air rifle. really makes you concentrate. I have an air arms s410 is expensive bt its a work tool. If you want cheap and cheerful non springer there are various CO2 powered rifles that are alright no recoil etc. but beware the CO2 cartridges do whack up the cost over time. but could be an option

with my meteor and at about 10m in the back garden I used to shoot a bit of firewood, then shoot at that mark until I left a bit clump of lead. Happy days

What about the real thing, try off sticks at the next Catton rifle shoot? :D
Targets to suit all disciplines and out to good distances, also, plenty of good shooters if you are in need of any tips!

Back