Berger bullets?

Alaska_Seth

Anyone else nuts over Bergers?

I have a good load of 57 grains of ADI 2013SC with the 168 Grain in my Tikka T3 30-06.
It is shooting .362 5 shot group at 100 yards.

The 185, and 210 don't shoot as well yet, but I am working on it.

Given that it's not really an appropriate bullet for uk deer species at the ranges we deem best practice, they're not too popular on this forum. Some like them for paper punching though.

i use them for f-class ,their the best bullet out their ,i use the vld or hybrid design
they do say for hunting on some of the thin jacket bullets orange box ,the thick jackets are for targets only yellow box

Given that it's not really an appropriate bullet for uk deer species at the ranges we deem best practice, they're not too popular on this forum. Some like them for paper punching though.

Which Berger Bullets have you tried?

was looking at 7mm 168 vld for my 7mm08 they have a serious bc but not sure on performance on game and dont think i can get col to fit a aics or AE mags while keeping an accurate load i know they can be fussy to col
anyone had any experiece i dont fancy wasting £50 to find out there naff

Anyone else nuts over Bergers?

Can I ask if you are using the hunting bullets on game or just for target shooting?

I'm just interested as I've seen (on youtube etc. not personally) some impressive results from the hunting Bergers in terms of putting the animal down fast and I was wondering if the videos I've seen were "carefully selected" or if this performance is what is seen generally.

Also every shot I've seen on youtube has been broadside on at considerable range and I wonder how they might work at relatively short range (Last season my shots were between 60 and 220 yards) and also in a situation where you might have to shoot through a shoulder or whatever.

in 7mm they do a hunting `140 grn and a 168 grn and a 180 grn ,they are as good a hunting bullet as any for thin skin game we get here

This has been covered ten thousand times, but even berger hunting bullets are by their own admission, only suitable for larger deer at extended ranges. The jacket is very thin, but so is the hollow point, and at 50-150 yards is likely to do one of two things: either explode like a ballistic tip and leave a runner, or pin-hole without expansion, leaving a runner.

these bullets are designed to shed all their weight at long range, as they penetrate around 18" before they basically explode, leaving a massive wound tract, but often no exit wound (making tracking tough - so don't use by woodland either).

I studied the stuff on the berger site, and they say that even their hunting bullets are for BIG deer and for shots in excess of 350yds. Any normal UK deer are not broad enough to allow such deep penetration before proper expansion begins, except for maybe large reds - AND, to get that expansion at 18" penetration depth, you need a LOOOONG shot to slow the bullet down sufficiently..that's just not UK hunting style.

If you want to shoot big red stags at 400yds on the hill, go for it, but otherwise, throw them in the bin or use them on the range:british:

i have used them and found them to be excelent for deer even at close range from roe to reds
never had a problem with to much or not enough exspantion

This has been covered ten thousand times, but even berger hunting bullets are by their own admission, only suitable for larger deer at extended ranges. The jacket is very thin, but so is the hollow point, and at 50-150 yards is likely to do one of two things: either explode like a ballistic tip and leave a runner, or pin-hole without expansion, leaving a runner.

these bullets are designed to shed all their weight at long range, as they penetrate around 18" before they basically explode, leaving a massive wound tract, but often no exit wound (making tracking tough - so don't use by woodland either).

I studied the stuff on the berger site, and they say that even their hunting bullets are for BIG deer and for shots in excess of 350yds. Any normal UK deer are not broad enough to allow such deep penetration before proper expansion begins, except for maybe large reds - AND, to get that expansion at 18" penetration depth, you need a LOOOONG shot to slow the bullet down sufficiently..that's just not UK hunting style.

If you want to shoot big red stags at 400yds on the hill, go for it, but otherwise, throw them in the bin or use them on the range:british:

OK, What I'm getting at is - Have you used Berger Bullets? The reason I ask, is because if not, it's pretty unreasonable to do lots of reading on the web, and then give out advice for people not to use them. Now I've been out and bought a couple of boxes, and am reserving judgement, but when I do give out advice,and pass judgement on the products of our industry, it will be because I have first hand expirience.
There may well have been 10,000 topics on this, one of those was was started by you almost a year ago, when you appeared to be considering the use of these bullets.
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?11813-Berger-VLD

So what's changed? Did you buy a box, and not like the results, or are you just repeating a mantra you've read, that "those bullets are bad for deer".

If I am wrong, I have a generous portion of humble pie at the ready. ;)

OK, What I'm getting at is - Have you used Berger Bullets? The reason I ask, is because if not, it's pretty unreasonable to do lots of reading on the web, and then give out advice for people not to use them. Now I've been out and bought a couple of boxes, and am reserving judgement, but when I do give out advice,and pass judgement on the products of our industry, it will be because I have first hand expirience.
There may well have been 10,000 topics on this, one of those was was started by you almost a year ago, when you appeared to be considering the use of these bullets.
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?11813-Berger-VLD

So what's changed? Did you buy a box, and not like the results, or are you just repeating a mantra you've read, that "those bullets are bad for deer".

If I am wrong, I have a generous portion of humble pie at the ready. ;)

Ok, fair enough, I know what you mean. Yes I did start a thread on the subject, and did a lot of research into the matter. I actually spoke to a representative in the states on it over the phone, who personally recommended against using them on UK deer species within 350 yds as well.

I have NOT used them, I admit openly and honestly. I draw my opinions on this subject from research, but not only website mantra, actual research and pictures of expanded bullets, fragments, diagrams of penetration ability, wound tracts, etc. etc. etc.

I COULD be wrong, no doubt, but I just came to the conclusion that the spoken word of a company representative is about the best you'll get, even more so than personal experience.

Edit: I just also wanted to add that if you go on some of the US based forums, the common thought is that Hunting VLD's are outrageously explosive when pushed 'fast and close', and are only really good at the 300-600 yard ranges. There are many gruesome pictures to show exit wounds the size of footballs for hunting vld's used within 150yds. Again, just another place I drew my opinions from.

Last edited:
Nosler ballistic tips and Hornady SSTs have a working velocity range too, that doesn't make Berger particularly worse than the other two.

PKL
Not looking to start a fight but may i suggest you re visit the Berger site. Things may have progressed since you formed your opinion on this Bullet.
I am about to use the 115 Grain version in my 25-06. This having seen numerous Roe shot by my Stalking partner using the 140 grain from his 6.5x284. There have been no dramas and the Bergers have performed much like any soft point.
It is by far the most Accurate Bullet i have used too.
Yorkie.

berger done some extensive testing on the hunting bullets before puting the name hunting on their thin hunting bullets and not all testing was done at long range
the most humane way to kill an animal is to kill it quick and if it drops on the spot due to hydro static shock and rips its internals to shreds than thats humane ,but to punch a hole through and look for a bloodtrail and let the animal run off is old school, who cares about a little meat damage if the animal dies quick they are due that

I have been using 80 grain Berger Varmint in my .243 for about a year now. I get sub 1" at 200yds with them.

They are awesome for accuracy.

In addition, as far as them not being suitable on deer I have taken 10+ muntjac with them this year alone and each one dropped like a rock. Shot placement is more important in my opinion that bullet type. Even if you put a totally unsuitable full metal jacket bullet through a deers heart and lungs it will drip like a rock.

When butchering these muntjac I found the berger varmint bullets on 2 of the animals, they had opened up extensively doing considerable damage to the beasts inner organs without doing extensive damage to the meat, in my opinion that is perfect.

The Berger VLD's have been used to great effect on deer in the states for many years at all ranges up to 1000yds+

Whilst I am not advocating shooting deer at silly ranges, take a look at what a 6.5mm bullet did to an Elk in this video.

Elk shot at 925yds with a 140grain Berger Bullet.

If you can shoot straight and you can hit the right spot, Berger bullets are more than capable of dropping anything we have here in Europe.

Yes other bullets may do more/less damage to the beast, but none are as accurate as Berger IMO. We should concentrate more on our accuracy and less on bullet construction.

Just my 2p's worth.

Last edited:
i can only talk from peronal experiance.but i have used the 115gr vld hunting in 257 roberts ai for the past
12 months they are very accurate,have shot reds /roe /fallow with them from 50 mts /200+ they have great knock
down power.and get good exit wounds, and they will zero well if loaded well off lands.if you got a short mag.
like i say this is only what i have found personally .
regards bob

PKL

+1. Explosive, unbelieveably explosive. Only used them out to 150yds on Munti and Roe and never again.

185g Berger code 30418 at 1000yards in windy conditions perfect for F Class.

Berger make some seriously accurate bullets but not many are suitable for what we do. They tend to be expensive as well.

Can I ask if you are using the hunting bullets on game or just for target shooting?

I'm just interested as I've seen (on youtube etc. not personally) some impressive results from the hunting Bergers in terms of putting the animal down fast and I was wondering if the videos I've seen were "carefully selected" or if this performance is what is seen generally.

Also every shot I've seen on youtube has been broadside on at considerable range and I wonder how they might work at relatively short range (Last season my shots were between 60 and 220 yards) and also in a situation where you might have to shoot through a shoulder or whatever.

I have shot mostly feral goats with them. They act very much like the Nosler Ballistic tip when you hit the vitals. Not idea for bone-on shots, but they will work if you are close enough.

Back