Real big buck I need to catch up with...possible medal?

groach1234

Well before I went away i was out counting bucks seeing what was about when I came across this big boy a couple of days in a row. He is in velvet but seems a very big head and possible medal what do you think? He does seem a bit malformed but that could be frost damage after the long cold winter. Sorry about the picture quality the buck was about 350 yards off over an open field.

DSC04821.jpg

DSC04817.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

DSC04805.jpg

DSC04787.jpg

DSC04785.jpg

DSC04750-1.jpg

George

I am a relative newcomer to the sport and have no medal heads to my name, but i am fortunate to have been out with a few stalkers who have shown me what they said were medal roe heads. They all said that if the antlers were as long as the head you were in with a chance, then it was density and conformity that were the final deciders on which colour medal it was worth.

Personally, unless he is "going back" or malformed, I would leave him for the good of the gene pool.

Simon

That's a beauty! Looks like an old boy from the way his back curves, and how he walks with his neck lowered, probably 7-10yrs old?

Since he's in full velvet, perhaps best to leave until after the rut, unless you feel you might lose him to a neighbour of course!.

could easily be a medal

george

looking at him i could not honestly say medal or not.
what i would say is that at a guess he is in his prime now.
i would leave till rut and then take towards the end of the season if you think its safe to do so..
from his appearance you may get another year out of him but then he may start to go back.
if by the remotest chance that he is by his mum and is nearing one year old then shxt mate hes a monster and leave till next year.. he can only get bigger.

all avenues covered so good luck

f.

Last edited:
Thanks just to clarify the picture was taken at then end/mid march but I have been away for 2 months and not gone looking for him yet. And its not his mum he was with 3 does cropped from the pictures on the whole.

George

George,

There are a lot of deer in your area. If you did choose to take him this year, even before the rut it will not be long before he is replaced. The land and fodder is in abundance and the beasts are all of decent size from my experience over your way.

DC

No doubt about it though - he's a good looking animal with plenty of meat on him. I bet it tastes good.:D

DC

He looks a powerful beast i'd say late middle age rather than older, i'd try to leave for a year or two, he'll def get a bit better coronets a bit lower/wider etc. He looks to have a fair amont of pedicle(not that you can see that clearly)

I would say the way the pictures have caught him stooping, he is old and going back (might be wrong from a still).
He maybe malformed through an injury or otherwise.
His genes are in the pool.
Even from a non comercial stand point, I would take him for the wall as soon as I got a nice (memorable) stalk from him.
Go on george you know you want to.
regards John.

Why not leave him see how big he gets

cos someone else wont!
I would take him this year personally.
He may be big and have a good head but I would take him now before he gets any older. he has obviously done the genepool well. time for the pot!

Wait until he has a nice full summer coat on him and make sure you shoot him nice and cleanly through the heart / lungs - not too far forward either. Don't bleed him through the neck, but gralloch him as normal, but keep opening as small as possible. Then when you skin him take a line around the rib cage - as far back as possible and a carefully roll the skin forwards to the base of the neck and then send him off to the Taxidermist. Give Monarch a call and send it up to him near Loch Ness - good excuse for a holiday in that part of the world!!!

Then you can enjoy him for a very long time. I have my first buck mounted on the wall and its a really nice thing to have, but one is enough.

Is he a malform or just a misaligned 6 pointer?

I spend a LOT of time watching bucks in velvet, it's amazing how big they can appear.

If you do shoot him please post the pic, just out of interest. I'm going to stick my neck out and even suggest he's got relatively smooth antlers without alot of pearling. ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

Is he a malform or just a misaligned 6 pointer?

I spend a LOT of time watching bucks in velvet, it's amazing how big they can appear.

If you do shoot him please post the pic, just out of interest. I'm going to stick my neck out and even suggest he's got relatively smooth antlers without alot of pearling. ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

If he is the same buck that was in the same wood last year then the relatively smooth antlers would be correct. There was a HUGE buck in the last year but I wasn't confident to take him as I was very inexperienced but got to within about 60 yards of him with binos but no camera. He was a perfectly symmetrical 6 point buck with more length but very thin beams so im not sure if it is the same buck and hense the question about potential frost damage. I intend to take him when I get time to track him down and get a safe shot (may take some time with how flat the ground is.) I want to take him sharpish as I know he crosses onto the neighbours farm and although to my knowledge no one stalks I would like to take him. If and when I do get him expect a full blown write up with lots of pictures

George

I would be inclined to have a look for him and if he is likley to be poached or shot over the boundry then take him yourself about 10 years ago I watched a big boy for two seasons then dog men started coming reguler and he dissapeared I assume they got him,shame as I had seen and enjoyed watching him on many occasions thinking I was doing the right thing letting him spread his genes but the ground he was on was sold and new owner did not like shooting of any sort so dog men attended and ruinied the roe in that area.They were easy pickings.

Back