No. of park deer per acre?

Adamant

We've been mulling over the possibility of a house move to somewhere with more land and the chance to build a low energy home. One of the sites we've looked at comes with an additional 20 acres of decent pasture as part of the deal and I wondered whether it was feasible to keep even a fairly small number of park deer on that small a parcel of land? I was thinking about Fallow but any of the herding deer would suit me, purely as a hobby rather than a profit making exercise.

I appreciate there would be a lot to learn and some investment in fencing etc but that's not an issue - I just wondered if it would be possible.

Adam.

adam,

i see no reason why not, you will probably get a grant for various stages of your build and including the fences etc.
20 acres is a lot of land and with supplementary feeding during winter 20/30 animals would not be over crowding.
may be better to make sure your stock are not breading or manage it carefully to ensure good and true blood lines.
pm me mate and i will forward your details to a mate in scotland that can give you some advice.

good luck
f.

Adam,

I have recently set up a park in Sussex, slightly larger but have asked many questions that you no doubt are thinking over the last 6 months or so. If you want to have a chat give me a call, I was advised by a chap in Norfolk who I believe as well as many others one of the best around he also has a very good knowledge of lots of various species of deer, I can put you in touch with him also if you like.

Alex

You dont say if you expect to use the same ground to produce hay/silage for winter feed. This will make a big difference. Obviously the size of the deer makes a difference and the quality of the ground but I doubt if 3 an acre is really possible. I did a similar thing a few years back and am happy to help if I can.

3 reds and 7 fallow/sika per acre are deer farming norms with good pasture control. If its a hobby you won't want to stock to that level. Reds are hard on the ground, poaching the soil in winter, fence walking and wallowing. For amenity value go for the latter two species, also much easier size for carcase handling.

Adam,

I have recently set up a park in Sussex, slightly larger but have asked many questions that you no doubt are thinking over the last 6 months or so. If you want to have a chat give me a call, I was advised by a chap in Norfolk who I believe as well as many others one of the best around he also has a very good knowledge of lots of various species of deer, I can put you in touch with him also if you like.

Alex

You should have spoke to David Whitby at petworth park , he might even have sold you some stock

Trouble,

I know David Whitby, have known him since I was yay high through game shooting. Very knowledgeable man.

The main reason I took most of my advice from someone else was mainly because I was interested in Exotics / Reds and Sika as well as Fallow. The fallow I did get are from the same gene pool as Petworth.

Alex

Hi if its reds 15 mixed aged hinds 1 little knobber and a 4 year old stag would be fine, make sure you get them from somewhere where they are used to fences some park deer are not, manchurian sika are very good easy to handle and look good too, fallow can be a bit jumpy sometimes and japs are okay too. And make sure you can split the 20 acres and have a hard bit for winter feeding, a little wood is good too and water of course. If I had a choice I'd have manchurian's. Oh if you want organic deer give me a shout.

Back