Thread: titanium mod

titanium mod

Anyone using a titanium mod from Lawrence precision? Thinking about getting the Aurora M2 model for my 243. I would appreciate your views, thanks.

I have used a Quicksilver titanium mod on my 243 for a couple of years now apart from adding length to the barrel I haven't seen or heard anything as good for the weight, but not cheap!

For a reflex, which i believe the titanium's are, there are two competitors; the A-Tec Maxim at 450g and the Third Eye Sparton at 425g. So both of these are about the same weight, are aluminium with stainless inserts to stop flash cutting and are a bit cheaper.

Mr Lawrenece did not have the best of press to start with, I believe he has sorted things out though.

If you want lightweight moderation the CMM4 at 220g and the Roedale IV @ 175g, V @ 200g or even the IV with the first two stainless sections being TAiN coated replacing two ali ones at 225g. But if you want to pay the extra £200 to lug about twice the weight, carry on.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    For a reflex, which i believe the titanium's are, there are two competitors; the A-Tec Maxim at 450g and the Third Eye Sparton at 425g. So both of these are about the same weight, are aluminium with stainless inserts to stop flash cutting and are a bit cheaper.

Mr Lawrenece did not have the best of press to start with, I believe he has sorted things out though.

If you want lightweight moderation the CMM4 at 220g and the Roedale IV @ 175g, V @ 200g or even the IV with the first two stainless sections being TAiN coated replacing two ali ones at 225g. But if you want to pay the extra £200 to lug about twice the weight, carry on.

Simon
    True words Simon.

One thing that that caught my attention with the Quicksilver moderators was the change in cost over a couple of years, again around £600 when they first came out, OTT in my opinion, but OK the guy has big overheads and has to pay the US firm a kick back something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. This in my mind was proven by the fact that the price dropped to £300 to “sell off old stock” Now George was must be making money at £300, so you can now see the mark up in them in the first instance. Oh Long, the Quicksilver is too long at 8” IMO.

I can assure you Ti is not that difficult to machine you can drill it with a bog standard HSS drill so long as you have a good supply quality coolant, also it looks very nice when machined because it easily takes a nice shinny finish that does not tarnish, this leads to the un-informed to think they are looking at a wonderful piece of precision machining, in truth the only way to check the quality would be to strip one down or preferably 10 down, and run a micrometer over them and note the change in dimensions. Seeing that just about all moderators are now made on CNC machine there should be little difference in quality of the machining between any of them.

If you compare Craig’s Third Eye Tactical moderator and the Lawrence Precision one both are similar dimensions the Third Eye one is a bit more complex IMO, both are made on CNC and there is no doubt that Craig is a excellent engineer so I think it is highly likely that the quality of both is equally as good, now his is £250, if you are going to allow for the extra material cost of Ti and tool wear then it should cost no more that £350 all things being equal. But then again something is really worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

As some of you know I have built my own Ti moderators in the past, but if I wanted one tomorrow I would buy an A-Tec CCM. I feel the life time guarantee on the Ti moderators is of little value in the real world it is not like they have a lot of moving parts which could fail. Moderators are improving all the time getting smaller and lighter, 8 years ago the T8 was best there was, now we have moderators that are one third its weight and in real terms are just as cheap, the reality is few of us will burn a moderator out, especially deer stalkers. We are most likely to change for a better model even if it is from the same manufacture as our old one that burn one out. There is still new moderator technology that has not yet been commercially exploited yet.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 29-05-2011 at 09:00.