Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Going back" question.

"Going back" question.

Am I right in guessing the term means that antlers are going to become smaller and of lesser quality?

How would I be able to tell from looking at a buck if he is likely to be going back?

Only real way is to look at the teeth and age him - look at the molars and if they re worn out he is a relly old boy. Also you need to know your deer and follow them year on year. But difficult to ask a buck to come and show you his teeth before you shoot him. In the field age of a deer is much more an impression and lot of it has to do with their behaviour posture etc.

Young bucks - still small, but energetic and sprightly - head alert, move easily etc. Face still quite round and babyish.

As they mature they get bigger in the body, but they look strong and fit, big pert haunches, solid muscular neck etc and antlers tend to be nice and thick and solid looking.

When they start going back they don't loose size but they loose condition. There movements are stiffer, head is carried lower and all that all powerful muscle tends to decline and turn to flab around the belly etc - ie just like us. In terms of antlers, they don't really loose the length, but what they loose is the weight.

Have a look at the mount done for me by Monarch on this site - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...just-completed. He was probably past his prime for the ground over which I shoot. He was massive in the body, but his antlers are bit skinny - if I had shot him a year earlier his antlers could well have been a bit more solid.

>?
    Last edited by 6pointer; 29-05-2011 at 21:40.

As others have said a really old buck will walk with his head forward and his neck almost in line with his back, another indication of age regarding antlers again not very easy to see in the field, but the outer edges of the coronets tend to slope down wards on an old animal.

When going back you will notice a thickening and flattening to the horns particularly where the points on top emanate from. Then year on year the points get smaller and smaller and the main beams broaden.

It is really interesting to compare the horns from the same stag over a period of years. A pal of mine who is maise on picking up cast horns has a wonderful collection from the same stags going back over, in some cases, 6/7 years from when they were 2 a tops. Makes fascinating comparison.

[QUOTE=Heym SR20;222363]Only real way is to look at the teeth and age him - look at the molars and if they re worn out he is a relly old boy. Also you need to know your deer and follow them year on year. But difficult to ask a buck to come and show you his teeth before you shoot him. In the field age of a deer is much more an impression and lot of it has to do with their behaviour posture etc.

Young bucks - still small, but energetic and sprightly - head alert, move easily etc. Face still quite round and babyish.

As they mature they get bigger in the body, but they look strong and fit, big pert haunches, solid muscular neck etc and antlers tend to be nice and thick and solid looking.

When they start going back they don't loose size but they loose condition. There movements are stiffer, head is carried lower and all that all powerful muscle tends to decline and turn to flab around the belly etc - ie just like us. In terms of antlers, they don't really loose the length, but what they loose is the weight.

Have a look at the mount done for me by Monarch on this site - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...just-completed. He was probably past his prime for the ground over which I shoot. He was massive in the body, but his antlers are bit skinny - if I had shot him a year earlier his antlers could well have been a bit more solid.[/QUOTE

That is a cracking mount !

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Only real way is to look at the teeth and age him - look at the molars and if they re worn out he is a relly old boy. Also you need to know your deer and follow them year on year. But difficult to ask a buck to come and show you his teeth before you shoot him. In the field age of a deer is much more an impression and lot of it has to do with their behaviour posture etc.

Have a look at the mount done for me by Monarch on this site - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...just-completed. He was probably past his prime for the ground over which I shoot. He was massive in the body, but his antlers are bit skinny - if I had shot him a year earlier his antlers could well have been a bit more solid.
    That is a cracking Mount !

JR

Head carry and general shape and behaviour give clues to likely age of a buck, as posted previously ,sloping coronets and weakening antlers give another clue if your close enough to see them clearly. But be aware a poorer head on a bodily strong buck can be the result of a bad season weather wise or injury ,not neccisarily going back. A kind winter and spring with less competition for food can mean a buck having a strong head one year a weak head the next and back to a strong or improving head the following season.
    It's definitely worth getting to know the resident deer and their territories. You'll the be in a good position to judge and recognize travelling bucks that are moving through.

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Head carry and general shape and behaviour give clues to likely age of a buck, as posted previously ,sloping coronets and weakening antlers give another clue if your close enough to see them clearly. But be aware a poorer head on a bodily strong buck can be the result of a bad season weather wise or injury ,not neccisarily going back. A kind winter and spring with less competition for food can mean a buck having a strong head one year a weak head the next and back to a strong or improving head the following season.
    It's definitely worth getting to know the resident deer and their territories. You'll the be in a good position to judge and recognize travelling bucks that are moving through.
    That about covers it.