Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom 6.5 x 284

Custom 6.5 x 284

Hi

I've been trying to find a new Sauer in this calibre but without much luck so far

So I'm looking for someone who can build me a great (not just good) hunting rifle in this calibre if my search remains unsuccessful.

Any recommendations?

Or any custom rifle smiths want to contact me then that would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Maccer

You could buy a sauer in a long action calibre and get a new barrel in 6.5x284 form border barrels for around £600

6.5x284 is a factory option with Blaser, match barrel only. Barrel alone is ballpark a grand.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

And then start saving again because you will probally need another one in 1000-1500 rounds

BOB

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Hi

I've been trying to find a new Sauer in this calibre but without much luck so far

So I'm looking for someone who can build me a great (not just good) hunting rifle in this calibre if my search remains unsuccessful.

Any recommendations?

Or any custom rifle smiths want to contact me then that would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Maccer
    Sauer don't offer this chambering in the current line up.

As mentioned you could go down the border barrel route but 2.5-3k on a new Sauer then another £600 for a barrel seems like the expensive route.

The only 2 6.5mm chamberings available are 6.5x55 and 6.5x57, personally I opt for the latter.

ATB
    Moses

And then start saving again because you will probally need another one in 1000-1500 rounds
    Yes I have read up on barrel wear with this round and I think its not too much of an issue. For stalking use I can probably expect much higher than that and anyway I don't need the accuracy that F class shooters need. Also, I see you can extend the life by polishing the throat and even setting back the barrels by an inch each time. Having said that I cant see me putting 1000 rounds down the tube inside 3 or 4 years. Apparently, anyway

You could buy a sauer in a long action calibre and get a new barrel in 6.5x284 form border barrels for around £600
    Yes, thats an interesting option I hadn't thought of.

Not sure about the Blaser suggestion. But I will def check it out

Great feedback so far. Thanks

the 6.5-284 is a awsome round for a stalking rifle ,you will need a long action like a borden would be my first choice ,they can be fidly to get to feed properly 100% unless you get a drop box mag like a AI mag system wich will inline feed ,barrels my choice is a border cut 1-8.5 twist or a 1-8 and a mcmillan or darrel holland thumbhole stock
    expect to pay £3k+

There is no doubt the 6.5x284 is really tasty in a custom target rifle. A stalking style rifle built in that calibre would obviously work very well, but if you just want a practical stalking rifle the 270 will do pretty much the same thing, at a lot less cost.

Now, if you really want a custom rifle, by all means go for it. But if you want a Sauer 202, just get a 270, or for that matter a 6.5x55 and hand load the Swede up to its real potential.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Actually I have a suaer 6.5x55 now. But I fancied something with a little more zing for the hills. The original plan was to go for a sauer takedown with the 6.5 x 284 and then a second barrel for big game when travelling. But I'm just shelving the big game idea for the moment.

Wish I had the time to hand load. But really I don't.

@ Taylor I bet you're the F class champ aren't you? Using this calibre? I heard you built your own rifle.