Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Section 7 "Farmers Defence" Advice please.

Section 7 "Farmers Defence" Advice please.

A local farmer whose land I have shot on for years phoned me the other day and asked me if I could take care of some deer on his land. The farm is small, around 230 acres and is unenclosed.
    A group of reds have taken up residency and are knocking the bejesus out of the freshly planted potato fields, they seem in no hurry to vacate.
    The farmer has confirmed in writing that he authorises me to shoot the offenders.

I have never had to slot beasts out of season so any advice would be appreciated.

You may have to prove that you have tried other non lethal methods first as I belive you have to with Canadas out of season.

It's not his call mate, don't take his word for it.... You have to apply for a license from natural England and the actual stalker is named on the license.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It's not his call mate, don't take his word for it.... You have to apply for a license from natural England and the actual stalker is named on the license.
    Absolute rubbish, Natural England have no jurisdiction on his farmland, fill your boot and shoot the stags before he gets someone else to.
    Paragraph 14.5 of the Home Office firearms guide to Police 2002 covers this.

Where deer are a serious threat for either of the two reasons stated, Natural England or the Welsh Assembly Government may issue a licence to kill or take deer out of season.
    A license will be specific as to purpose for which it is granted, land to which it relates, the species and description of deer (i.e. male/female) that can be taken/killed, the method by which they may be taken and the maximum number that can be taken. It is likely to be restricted by time (e.g. close season licenses are likely to be valid only during daylight hours) and overall duration, probably limited to one year/one season.
    The persons actually operating under the licence - the stalkers - will need to be named on the license and there will be a maximum number - normally restricted to a maximum of 4.
    The licence may impose conditions over and above those required by the Deer Act(1991)(as amended) .
    Licences will only be issued as a last resort , where there is no satisfactory alternative, such as deer management by conventional means.
    Applications forms are available:
    In England - Natural England
    In Wales - Welsh Assembly Government: Agri Environment Policy Dept 02920 821523
    Where deer are damaging property such as crops Section 7 of the Deer Act 1991 provides a “farmers defence” whereby authorised persons may, in certain circumstances shoot deer if they are causing damage in the close season (see the Act for details of the types of situations covered).
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

You have not read what I wrote,
    Natural England have no jurisdiction on the farmers land.
    What you quote above applies to land over which NE do have jurisdiction and not farmland.
    Who gave you this tosh? BDS?
    Last edited by jack; 28-05-2011 at 16:16.

If what you say is true, what is the point of having closed seasons?

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/our...cies/deer.aspx
    Last edited by Si; 28-05-2011 at 16:36. Reason: link added

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    If what you say is true, what is the point of having closed seasons?
    Close seasons prevent slaughter of does so they can raise their young and for stags to cast their antlers.
    Not all deer maraud onto farmland to destroy crops and not all farmers want deer shooting out of season, my farmer is one of them.

To qualify my comments. I went down this route a few years ago.
    The farmer had wheat sown on one part of his farm where Fallow were present/roamed and Fallow can roll in the wheat to try to disperse flies in the summer.
    As I thought this could arise I phoned the BDS who assured me that I needed a licence as you suggest to shoot the deer on the farmland in the close season.

I then phoned the licensing bureau at Avon and Somerset to get an opinion. I spoke to someone who I shall not name but he was a senior licensing officer.
    His response was, "I have heard of this farmers defence clause about shooting deer out of season but I am not too sure about it, if you find anything out about it can you let me know."
    Which is about par for the course for him.

I then posted a comment on airgunbbs.com that you need a licence as you suggest and I told I was wrong, by an experienced stalker.
    He quoted a senior forestry commission stalker the correct legislation as I have above.

My point is that Natural England are not responsible for the farmers crops, and section seven is a clause in the legislation to allow the farmer or his agent to protect his crops and very sensible too.
    Last edited by jack; 28-05-2011 at 16:55.

Natural England - Deer

About the 4th paragraph down details my point
    "Shooting deer in the close season."

but only the first sentence not the second.