Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The dull knife, (& how to deal with it).

The dull knife, (& how to deal with it).

First off, don't let your edge get away from you in the first instance!, but , if you are like me & forget to attend to one of the most important jobs,here's how some put the Banzai back in their blades. http://www.doublelhoofknives.com/farrierbookmailer.pdf
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

or you could just buy one of these, not cheep but easy with tip top results:

http://www.blueshoots.com/pp/Knives_...Model_120.html

Dave

My brother uses a powered sharpener like this. Works very well for as long as the blade lasts. I told him if I ever saw him taking one of my good hunting knives through it I would feed him to the crows. I have an assortment of good quality stones and like to hand sharpen my hunting/pocket knives. I have a belt-type cutlery sharpener for kitchen knives. It's the way to do it, that's for sure.~Muir

A friend told me...

When you are completely lost and alone in the wilderness, find a comfy spot sit down and start to sharpen your knife.
    There will appear, as if by magic, someone to tell you that you do not sharpen it correctly.....

I use a LANSKY system, makes it quite easy to get a very sharp edge.

ATB
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    A friend told me...

When you are completely lost and alone in the wilderness, find a comfy spot sit down and start to sharpen your knife.
    There will appear, as if by magic, someone to tell you that you do not sharpen it correctly.....

just get a Mora at less than a tenner a chuck, when it starts to get dull, go buy another one !

I sometimes forget how rabbit fur can remove the sharpest edge in quick time, but on a day like today,(a reloading day), I think I will enjoy getting a keen edge back on a couple of knives.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    My brother uses a powered sharpener like this. Works very well for as long as the blade lasts. I told him if I ever saw him taking one of my good hunting knives through it I would feed him to the crows. I have an assortment of good quality stones and like to hand sharpen my hunting/pocket knives. I have a belt-type cutlery sharpener for kitchen knives. It's the way to do it, that's for sure.~Muir
    I can use and have Stones, Lansky etc and the Chefs choice gets as good or better results and the metal removal is no more than on the Lansky. Cant find fault with it.

Dave