Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crow killer

Crow killer

Just joined, done a lot of crow killing over the years by most methods, had 103 up to now this year. larsen trap is still catching. Rifles, have a Tikka 243 heavy barrel synthetic varmint, with a moderator, .22, and shotguns. { Cumbria }

Welcome on in, was just bemoaning the fact that hardly any formal shoots do the duty of vermin / roost shoots, was watching Craven going on about the Maggies pinching songbirds eggs, wish there were more like minded as us! Steve, currently shooting poo peckers as and when presenting
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve, when I started keepering vermin control was one of the main jobs, still is with grouse keepers,but a lot of the low ground shoots think its more cost effective to have the keepers concentrate on the birds than waste! time on vermin control just put down more birds and allow a % for losses to vermin.

Not my idea of keepering I'm afraid, might as well work on a chicken farm.

eh up , where do ya what shoot you on in cumbria ?

Not all low land keepers are ax on vermin, i shoot 200 foxes a year, have a trapping round, and average 1200-1500 corvids per year. We can't snare or put traps where we want them for fear of people seeing them and interfering

Your right Dickyboy , i know that from personal experience , having worked on rearing fields producing 100,000 birds and on grouse moors in the cumbria area ive seen the best of both jobs . Its a shame some blokes have an eletist attitude to their jobs when they would seem to have very little insight into others , would a grouse man know what to do with an incubator or a heat lamp ? would a pheasant man know how to catch and worm grouse or burn a moor ? both are experts in their own field each having different problems to over come , one things for sure we should all stick together

sorry about that crow man , where are you working

Account Suspended
    hi crow killer
    just joined myself (sakowsm) just a quick hi to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    Your right Dickyboy , i know that from personal experience , having worked on rearing fields producing 100,000 birds and on grouse moors in the cumbria area ive seen the best of both jobs . Its a shame some blokes have an eletist attitude to their jobs when they would seem to have very little insight into others , would a grouse man know what to do with an incubator or a heat lamp ? would a pheasant man know how to catch and worm grouse or burn a moor ? both are experts in their own field each having different problems to over come , one things for sure we should all stick together
    Not elitist mate, have been a grouse keeper, deerstalker and low ground keeper on both pheasant and partridge shoots
    been self employed for the past 23 years mainly on deer.

The last low ground shoot I was on, we did lamp foxes winter nights, and a quick run round corvid nests other than that no trapping or snaring, told no time to waste on that,16 keepers on the estate 2 on the hill ground 3 and a boy on a separate part of the estate ran independent from main estate leaving 10 comprising of a Head keeper 3 kennel boys and 6 beat keepers producing pheasants for 40 driven
    days of between 600 and 1000 birds per day, all eggs were collected hatched and reared in house , surplus poults were
    sold to other shoots, not a lot of time left for vermin control, and in my opinion not real keepering.

I did however manage to get a transfer to the other part of the estate which was less intensive a mixture of hill and low ground did put birds to covert but a lot more wildfowl etc and a more traditional keepering role.

10 keepers doing about 100,000 birds = 10,000 each ! whats the problem