Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning binos, what's your opinion on the best way

Cleaning binos, what's your opinion on the best way

This may have been brought up several times, but can anybody share their methods of cleaning binos and scopes.

What the cheapest and easiest way.

Cheers

I run my Leica Geovids under the cold tap, perfect for flushing any grit or muck out of the places you can't get with any other means, then shake off the worst & dry out of sunlight, then clean with lens wipes.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I run my Leica Geovids under the cold tap, perfect for flushing any grit or muck out of the places you can't get with any other means, then shake off the worst & dry out of sunlight, then clean with lens wipes.
    +1 on that on some kahles also have a little cloth in a neoprene pouch clips to bino bra thingy [i like gadgets ]

pressure wash jimbo........................works everytime.

Avoid the 'lense pen' type thing. The brush is ok but the little wiper cup is designed to grab the sharpest bit of grit that was hidden at the edge and grind it into the lense giving nice circular scratches.

Your supermarket will sell lens wipes in the medicine section, they're great for wiping away greasy fingerprints after you've blown/flushed away the dust and grit.

Less is more in this case though.

A good tip is to roll up some loo roll as tight as possible to the thickness of a cigarette, tear it in half and use the raggy end to dust off/clean the lens.

Breath on the lens if you want to get some moisture in about it.

put some flip up scope caps on the front to keep them clean

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    A good tip is to roll up some loo roll as tight as possible to the thickness of a cigarette, tear it in half and use the raggy end to dust off/clean the lens.

Breath on the lens if you want to get some moisture in about it.
    And loo roll is made of?

It is probably responsible for most damage to lens coatings.
    Yes I know it's advertised to be soft on your arse but your arse is not 2k's worth of class optics...
    ONLY use a lens cloth if needed after flushing preferably with some distilled water (unless you live where the water is soft! - the water is so hard here you can see the chalk deposits as it dries!!!!)

Camera cleaning airbrush, hold the optics upside down so that when using any grit or dust falls off before cleaning with the lens cloth that all manufacturers provide!!!