Double Rifle for Boar

Yes, I have an over and under in 8x57jrs and a 9.3x74r side by side. Both rifles have been blooded but only one round was necessary in each case as I've only shot a total of two boar. Both boar shot were about 80-85Kg and the loads used were 220grn Sierra Gameking bullet in the 8x57 and a 250grn Nosler ballistic tip in the 9.3x74r. Neither boar was bowled over as such because they were both running at quite a rate of knots but neither run more than twenty yards before dropping stone dead.

Maccer

A few of the lads i have shot wildboar with have used double o/u rifles Beretta in 9.3x74r ,Hyem in 7x65r and a 30-06 and also a 8x57r in Rizzini. have also seen a 45-70 Baikal its was a bit rough to look at but shot well :lol:

Did you see Bruce Pott's recent review of the Browning 525 CCS O/U in 9.3x74r? Hmmmm, want one of those (I also have 2 Browning 525 12 bores so I'm a bit of a fan!)

For preference, I would always use a double (either rifle or slug shotgun) for boar - it can be a challenge to work a bolt sucessfully with a stroppy pig closing fast. I have also used a BAR but that can create its own problems.

I have used a 9.3 x 74 s/s (popular in France and elsewhere in Europe so good choice of ammunition) and a .375 s/s (make sure you bring whatever you will need), and both were fine. I felt that the 9.3 was plenty enough and the H&H was a bit much, but it does make you feel very safe.

Did you see Bruce Pott's recent review of the Browning 525 CCS O/U in 9.3x74r? Hmmmm, want one of those (I also have 2 Browning 525 12 bores so I'm a bit of a fan!)

Steve Beaty has a cracker for sale at Ivythorne Sporting near Street in Somerset it's a B525 Elite in 9.3x74R see it on Guntrader. His gun room is special and he has a 100 yd range for testing. Well worth a visit!

Yup I thought I'd let you find that out yrself! Seriously good dealer our Ivor - no bull - again worth a visit whatever you're after.
& No I'm not on commission anywhere!

Ian

Just got my lazy ass in gear boss and and checked. The Elite is steel and the ordinary one has an alloy action.

David.

Can't beat a Heym gents, I've seen a couple of combo's and sbs's in Reeves (used to work there part time) and whilst i maybe bias (and only shoot heyms) they are the muts nuts. They also do some nice o/u's from 7x57 up to .375h&h. Beautiful pieces !

Some of the sbs's have changeable barrels so you can have say .30-06 sbs for plains stuff / piggies then a set of .375's / .416 or .470's for the big 5.

T

I had a play with a Heym SxS 9.3x74R in Croatia a few years ago. Absolutely fantastic weapon and handled like a 16 bore shotgun, I can't imagine a better tool for the job.

One of the guys brought along a Merkel in 416 Rigby, now that was a beast. We agreed it was just too heavy and slow to swing to be any use for pigs in close cover.

Back