Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merseyside Police

Merseyside Police

I recently got my first firearms certificate from Merseyside police. It is for a 6.5 x 55 and I applid for deer and vermin. When the officer came to see me he said I could not have vermin with such a large calibre as the bullet would "go strait through it". I asked about just having foxes then as I know the farmer who owns the land I stalk would quite like me to control them.
    He got out a book of what appeared to be national guidelines and showed me a little chart indicating that my calibre was too large for foxes. I couldn't be bothered arguing with him as I'm not that bothered about shooting foxes and I'm on a syndicate with blokes who quite like potting them. However, I formed the view that the chart he was showing me applied if that was your sole use for the gun. Whereas I just want to pot them if I see them whilst out stalking. I suppose it's like saying you wouldn't grant a hgv licence to someone who only wanted to drive a Mindel but if you gave them a hgv licence you wouldn't mins them driving their Mondeo home from work.
    Has anyone had a similar experience? If so any ideas for how to gently persuade them to see things my way at renewal time?

Phone them up and tell then they're are incorrect. The chart is for guidance in terms of what is a good reason and it specifically in other sections says that lesser species should be allowed once the primary good reason has been established.

Easy solution though, phone them up and say you have good reason for a 22-250 then or something similar since you can't shoot fox with your 6.5. Also point out section 13.14 and 13.23 in this document. 6.5 is perfectly acceptable for fox taking into consideration you may be practicing fox control in windy conditions where necessary as per 13.23.

Home Office Guidance to the Police on Firearms Law

edit, sorry to hear they are a bit odd where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawiswar View Post
    I recently got my first firearms certificate from Merseyside police. It is for a 6.5 x 55 and I applid for deer and vermin. When the officer came to see me he said I could not have vermin with such a large calibre as the bullet would "go strait through it". I asked about just having foxes then as I know the farmer who owns the land I stalk would quite like me to control them.
    He got out a book of what appeared to be national guidelines and showed me a little chart indicating that my calibre was too large for foxes. I couldn't be bothered arguing with him as I'm not that bothered about shooting foxes and I'm on a syndicate with blokes who quite like potting them. However, I formed the view that the chart he was showing me applied if that was your sole use for the gun. Whereas I just want to pot them if I see them whilst out stalking. I suppose it's like saying you wouldn't grant a hgv licence to someone who only wanted to drive a Mindel but if you gave them a hgv licence you wouldn't mins them driving their Mondeo home from work.
    Has anyone had a similar experience? If so any ideas for how to gently persuade them to see things my way at renewal time?
    I recently put a variation in for a .308 for boar and deer, an also requested that it be conditioned for fox so that if one presented itself whilst I was out stalking, I could shoot it without contravening the conditions on my ticket. I got boar and deer OK'd for the .308 no problem, but the fox was refused as .308 is "too much" for fox. I didn't mind too much as my .243 is my main fox rifle anyway, but without wanting to sound like a doom-monger I reckon you may have your work cut out....

Good luck; let us know how you get on!

ATB,

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

you here about this post code lottery and it's a fact. I know there's a few guys with .308 and bigger for fox.

Carrion crows recently with my 6.5X55 Tikka Varminter. [Hornady 140gr Spirepoint.]
    It largely depends on the conditions on your ticket and therefore your local Police force.
    I have a condition worded roughly,`in the management of an estate any other wildlife.`
    When I do a renewal or a variation for `good reason` I always put on `Deerstalking, control of furred and feathered vermin species, target practice and general sporting purposes`.
    My permit is in for a co-terminus renewal at the moment with 60 years since it was granted. [Old Fart is 78 tomorrow.]
    HWH.

yes must admit cumbria seem to have the balance pefect for fac they seem to have a grip on what the shooting people want
    happy birthday for tomorrow hwh

ive got 308 for fox, got it on the drop of a hat = POSTCODE LOTTERY

This has come up before many times.

I'd welcome a post from anyone who has a Condition which says the .308 shall be used for shooting foxes as a primary purpose ..... without any other quarry ...... or an accompanying Condition on the .308.

What you get is .... " for Deer, Boar, (Fox), etc., where the larger animal is the primary quarry, and Fox is the secondary or incidental quarry.

It's all a bit of a muddle, and a very grey area. The official assumption is that you can bump off a fox while you're out stalking (an hour before dawn, or after sunset), but they don't want you out lamping with it at midnight.

Referring to the Guidance Chart .... .243, and 6.5mm are listed as suitable calibres for fox control where permission for other larger quarry has been given.
    I have Fox conditioned on my .243, and 6.5x55 but not on my .270. Much depends on what else you have too, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    I have a condition worded roughly,`in the management of an estate any other wildlife.'
    Be careful with that one... it's a standard condition for expanding ammunition, everyone has that but it doesn't neccessarily mean it applies to your rifle.
    As for the crows, a 17hmr can do as much damage. It just goes to show how little FEO's know about ballistics
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Merlin,
    You say you're in West Lancs. Do you fall under Meraeyside police too? If this is a widespread problem with Merseyside I might phone BASC and ask them to address it.