Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting from the truck

Shooting from the truck

After having changed the Hi Capacity Land Rover for a Suzuki Jimny, I have been at a disadvantage as I used to shoot from the tailgate, over the boarded out roof, so after the loading session this morning, I decided to use the break in the rain to cure the problem, looked out some scrap pipe from the workshop, just a nice snug fit over the 50mm towball, doglegged a brace to pick up the two spare bolt holes in the step, & cut to a suitable height for an old office swivel chair top to drop in, should be able to try it out soon, probably going to look like Jasper Carrot!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

cant ya put a sun roof in it

............ Yeah I could, but I wouldn't be able to climb in to shoot through it!, at least not without putting an elbow through something!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

whilst sitting in the drivers seat wedge a cushion in between the door and door mirror.

many a fox ive shot like that. You can get as solid as a rock.

*EDIT*

doh! I read it that you NOW had a Land Rover.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 30-05-2011 at 16:47.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

needs pictures.
    not sure I follow what you have made, sounds ghetto and I like it.

shot many a rabbit sitting in the passenger door window with rifle on roof whilst driver sweeps the field with the lamp.
    he did object to the hot brass on his roof though!

I used to shoot from 2 Jimnys, one on each foot!!

I just use a sand bag on the drivers door, pushed up to the door mirror for stability.
    Nice and comfortable sitting in the drivers seat with rifle resting on the bag, solid as a rock.

Neil.

+ 1 for wedging in the door mirror....Just I use an old jumper tied in a knot with the arms wrapped round to tie on. Best I've found, just re tie every 3-4 months, it gets bedded in solid and just perfect.

I much prefer this because I don't have to tell the driver what to do or the lampman, I do all of it, my mate then just picks up the quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    After having changed the Hi Capacity Land Rover for a Suzuki Jimny, I have been at a disadvantage as I used to shoot from the tailgate, over the boarded out roof, so after the loading session this morning, I decided to use the break in the rain to cure the problem, looked out some scrap pipe from the workshop, just a nice snug fit over the 50mm towball, doglegged a brace to pick up the two spare bolt holes in the step, & cut to a suitable height for an old office swivel chair top to drop in, should be able to try it out soon, probably going to look like Jasper Carrot!
    Lets have a picture then, dont just tease....

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Lets have a picture then, dont just tease....
    I reckon it looks like this:

Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.