Shooting from the truck

finnbear270

After having changed the Hi Capacity Land Rover for a Suzuki Jimny, I have been at a disadvantage as I used to shoot from the tailgate, over the boarded out roof, so after the loading session this morning, I decided to use the break in the rain to cure the problem, looked out some scrap pipe from the workshop, just a nice snug fit over the 50mm towball, doglegged a brace to pick up the two spare bolt holes in the step, & cut to a suitable height for an old office swivel chair top to drop in, should be able to try it out soon, probably going to look like Jasper Carrot!:D

:D............ Yeah I could, but I wouldn't be able to climb in to shoot through it!:D, at least not without putting an elbow through something!

whilst sitting in the drivers seat wedge a cushion in between the door and door mirror.

many a fox ive shot like that. You can get as solid as a rock.

*EDIT*

doh! I read it that you NOW had a Land Rover.

Last edited:
needs pictures.
not sure I follow what you have made, sounds ghetto and I like it.

shot many a rabbit sitting in the passenger door window with rifle on roof whilst driver sweeps the field with the lamp.
he did object to the hot brass on his roof though!

I just use a sand bag on the drivers door, pushed up to the door mirror for stability.
Nice and comfortable sitting in the drivers seat with rifle resting on the bag, solid as a rock.

Neil. :)

+ 1 for wedging in the door mirror....Just I use an old jumper tied in a knot with the arms wrapped round to tie on. Best I've found, just re tie every 3-4 months, it gets bedded in solid and just perfect.

I much prefer this because I don't have to tell the driver what to do or the lampman, I do all of it, my mate then just picks up the quarry.

After having changed the Hi Capacity Land Rover for a Suzuki Jimny, I have been at a disadvantage as I used to shoot from the tailgate, over the boarded out roof, so after the loading session this morning, I decided to use the break in the rain to cure the problem, looked out some scrap pipe from the workshop, just a nice snug fit over the 50mm towball, doglegged a brace to pick up the two spare bolt holes in the step, & cut to a suitable height for an old office swivel chair top to drop in, should be able to try it out soon, probably going to look like Jasper Carrot!:D

Lets have a picture then, dont just tease....:)

Well are you a shortie? just stand on the back of mine and rest the rifle on a harris on the roof, lovely stable position. I have a piece af that magnetic thick plastic to protect the roof.

D

Deeper Step on the back to stand on while shooting off roof. Save's opening and close'n tailgate.

Just a thaught Buck.

A swimming pool straw with a slit in it to slip it over your window top edge ,wind it down to your correct height and its as simple as it can get.
Pool straw is about 80-100 mm high density foam that wont squeak..
Or have a look around the web for fold down or sliding windscreen ideas,lots of Aussie roo shooters have or had them.

Last edited:
The Aussies don't have the backstop needs that we do, the angle into the ground from my"Comfort perch" is much more agreeable, over shooting off the wing mirrors.:lol:

Back