Cabela's......Good or bad for buying from in the UK......

deerstalker.308

I'm looking at buying one of the game carts Cabela's sell, aside from import duty etc has anyone got any possitive or negative feedback from dealing with them regarding international shipping etc? Would rather know now than once I've parted with my money......:confused:

Cheers!

I started on-line shopping with Cabelas in '99 when I was working in Louisville. Since returning to the UK I have probably placed an order once a year for stuff. I have generally been pleased with what I have purchased. I sent one set of waterproofs back from the UK a long time ago. The only comment I would make is that there seem to be more restrictions on items that they will ship these days. A recent order for Birchwood Casey targets was rejected.

The last time I placed an order, I had asked folk locally if there was anything they wanted in order to get the benefit of more stuff on one shipment and dilute the clearance fees.

Regards JCS

I started on-line shopping with Cabelas in '99 when I was working in Louisville. Since returning to the UK I have probably placed an order once a year for stuff. I have generally been pleased with what I have purchased. I sent one set of waterproofs back from the UK a long time ago. The only comment I would make is that there seem to be more restrictions on items that they will ship these days. A recent order for Birchwood Casey targets was rejected.

The last time I placed an order, I had asked folk locally if there was anything they wanted in order to get the benefit of more stuff on one shipment and dilute the clearance fees.

Regards JCS

I've had pretty much the same experience. I now only buy things that I can't get here though. Read the reviews of each item before you buy, like any good retailer, they stock items of all different qualities, some stuff is quite low quality but this is reflected in the price and the reviews, pay your money - take your choice. Never had any problems with delivery.
JC

I haven't bought anything from them in a long time, maybe 15 or more years. However, their postage is expensive and you pay tax and duty on the cost of the item plus postage. They used to charge 25% of the value of the order as postage and I think this is still the case. My experience was that tax and duty and so on usually came to about a third of the total cost of the order and postage.

I used to order items of clothing from them that I just couldn't get here in the UK. Quality was reasonable as were prices. These days I would doubt that ordering clothing from them makes sense as you could probably have some top quality stuff bought here in the UK for very similar money. However, I don't know anything about game carts.

I bought one of their game carts just before Christmas, unfortunately there was high demand for the first one I ordered as it was half price, I heard little for the 2 weeks before they cancelled on me due to lack of stock :mad:

So I ordered a slightly more expensive one. No problem with shipping, it got UPS'd with their standard customs fee + VAT. The cart itself is great, however those indestructible wheels are solid rubber and very heavy (I got the aluminium version of the cart). I've managed to fit it into a Jack Pyke decoy bag to make easier to carry around.

i have only dealt with them once, I ordered a case for a Lrf 800, took about 2 weeks to arrive, but no problems...HTH

I've ordered various items (jackets, boots, etc.) and never had a problem with any of the stuff arriving.

The worst part is seeing how much import duty and VAT you have to pay.....:cry::cry::cry:

(I've not ordered 'owt recently, and some of the gear probably isn't quite such a bargain now as it was a few years ago when the $/£ rate was much better)

If I may interject, I don't reside in the UK, so I can't respond on that. I will say that I have bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Cabelas. In fact if a month goes by, and I don't buy something, they send me a get well card. On the few times that I sent something back, for any reason, they have replaced or refunded it. They only wanted to know why. capt david

I have bought quite a bit from them but my cousin lived over there so would bring it over which is good because the postage is quite steep.
There are plenty of smaller shops that are alot cheaper on postage if you do a search. I have bought decoys from a firm called Trophy Gear (they cost me nothing as I sold half of them), Knives4you are good and their postage is always cheaper than they advertise and this year I have bought a Surefire torch, Minox binos and a guitars saving me £100s. You can also ask smaller places to put gift on the postage!

Over the years I have bought mostly from Bass Pro and Gander Mountain whilst in the states. However I have shipped a few items in over the years and in general I have never had a problem.

The only issue you will probably find is that you will pay import duty at this end, which i think is 8% followed by VAT on top of the import duty, plus of course the carriage. It used to be that if the value was under £35 an a personal gift you got away with it. But I doubt that will apply these days.

I have bought a few items from Cabelas over the years and they've always been pleasing to deal with. The last time was just before Christmas past. Of course, "online tracking" now reveals where the time gets lost, usually on this side of the pond.

The system Cabelas now employ seems much better, in that you pay all costs up front and no longer get handed an invoice from HMRC by the delivery company, which meant it actually worked out cheaper for me last time than on previous occasions.

I particularly recommend to anyone; check out their "Bargain Cave". Some astonishingly good deals can be on offer. My last cammo jacket (from the bargain cave) worked out at just over £90, wears well and was ideal kit for the very worst of last winter's weather. I live, work and play in the Scottish Southern-Uplands.

ps. My more expensive deerhunter stuff got left on the coat hook, when the weather was really bad.

Last edited:
Only can say reat things, place 4-6 orders a year off the bargin cave.
What you save easily makes up for postage and duty.
Even returned goods and the re-inbursed the postage.
fantastic company.

My only gripe would be their prices in general. I have never NOT found an item cheaper elsewhere. I have a Cabelas within 60 miles of me and while I've been in there many times, I have only bought a few small sale items. ~Muir

Back