Group of Sika Stags

jamross65

View attachment 7114View attachment 7115

Was out on Saturday for a look at some new ground I have to get a better idea of what is on the go and suss out spots for some more high-seats. The weather was not good for seeing deer, very windy with the odd shower. However, we counted about 20 in as many minutes. This is a group of 8 mature stags that were joined surprisingly, by 2 hinds and their followers. No sign of this years calves. Two nights previous different group of 7 stags and a large group of last years calves now kicked out by their mums, looking very lost!

I don't know if anyone else on here will agree with this but, in our experience the hinds seem far more tolerant of a stag than a hind follower. We have often shot young stags following on after a hind with this years calf have crossed a ride.

This was about as close as I could get with an excitable 10 year old in tow.

I need to learn how to zoom in on attachments!!!

nice group just shows find a bit with some shelter .Bet u cant wait till 1st july.As for the 10 year old start them young good luck

nice group just shows find a bit with some shelter .Bet u cant wait till 1st july.As for the 10 year old start them young good luck

I did. the problem now is trying to get the chance to go out without him and his brother tagging along!

We have stalking about 15 miles west of yours off the A701 and see all sorts of differant groups of Sika, stag only groups, hind only groups and mixed groups of all sorts of mixes.

hi brian is that on the other part of the estate it doesnt look like the bottom of the great hill or is it
atb tom

hi brian is that on the other part of the estate it doesnt look like the bottom of the great hill or is it
atb tom

That is the other part of the estate Tom. deer everywhere just now, but it is that time of year. Funny how some wish for the summer but we wish for autumn and the frost!!!

Which one is that Willie, they keep moving?????

As soon as I get the spare time mate!!! You getting a few?

Back