bait stations for foxes ?

Distinguished Member
what do you guys use as a bait station for foxes ?

(Bar the usual pegging meat/rabbit to the ground)

ATB

Dave

Can of sardines in oil punctured with a nail then the tin nailed to a fence post.
The smell of the "fishy oil" pulls em in!!
They can't get through the tin to the sardines so have to lick the oil off the post (keeps em there longer!)

ATB
Daz

get a two ft length of 4ins plastic waste pipe dig a hole bury 14ins of the pipe in the ground pack it well round the pipe when back filling, the piece of pipe sticking up drill 10mm holes all over it , then the only thing left to do is put your bait in, i put old eggs, scraps of fish, guts ETC it pulls foxs in from all over, and as long as you keep topping the pipe up not to full as they will help them self in the top they will keep coming back till u shoot them. it saves driving round the farm put 4/5 of these on the farm and they come to you.

get a two ft length of 4ins plastic waste pipe dig a hole bury 14ins of the pipe in the ground pack it well round the pipe when back filling, the piece of pipe sticking up drill 10mm holes all over it , then the only thing left to do is put your bait in, i put old eggs, scraps of fish, guts ETC it pulls foxs in from all over, and as long as you keep topping the pipe up not to full as they will help them self in the top they will keep coming back till u shoot them. it saves driving round the farm put 4/5 of these on the farm and they come to you.

Brilliant, cheers for that one :thumb:

Hand wipes bucket. The type with the flip lid centre where the wipes come thru. When its empty rinse, put all the deer hoffle , rabbit ends,moles what ever in there, pop the hole closed. leave it in the sun. ( should hold approx 1/2 gallon)

It dont spill, (The main lid is as tight as a North yorkshire man) after a week or 3 longer the better, put the bucket down wind , flip the cetre lid open...:eek: stand back!!
The fluid becomes like black swill & the smell from them gasses are unreal.........but the fox love it !!

sit in the comfort of your favorite 4x4 leather seat , zero'd & hey presto.:)

Great Idea Gadget :thumb:

Rgds, Buck.

Now this is tin hat territory but for what its worth.. a feral cat buried head down with its ass covered with about 1/2 an inch of soil. The smell rises through the body and out of its backside. They will come to it like flys to a turd. If you have ever smelt a rotton cat you will know why.

Oh yes and you have to shoot the cat first.

Mark

:lol:
Now this is tin hat territory but for what its worth.. a feral cat buried head down with its ass covered with about 1/2 an inch of soil. The smell rises through the body and out of its backside. They will come to it like flys to a turd. If you have ever smelt a rotton cat you will know why.

Mark

christ I nearly fell off my seat laughing at that!

i use cat food, just leave the tin in the sun for a bit. make sure you pin it down! they can carry tins!

dont do what I did and put one in the shed and forget about it.
took me a whole afternoon to work out where the smell was coming from!

Can of sardines in oil punctured with a nail then the tin nailed to a fence post.
The smell of the "fishy oil" pulls em in!!
They can't get through the tin to the sardines so have to lick the oil off the post (keeps em there longer!)

ATB
Daz

I wish I had read this properly the first time. Could not find a cat so I thought I would try the sardines except I thought you said pilchards so after a couple of days I note that the tomato sauce has blocked the holes up solid and there is no smell. Ho hum. At least I know what to do if I cant find the Rad Weld:doh:

Mark

Around here thats known as a leisure centre!!!

I do something very similar to your method Gadget, but I used a chain to hang it around 3-4 feet from the ground, all the fluids dripping every where and it makes it mobile so when you feel the need to move to a new location. Just make you put it in a bag before putting it in your vehicle. Also try not to put in bones as they can be a pain in the arse to clean out.

Steve

I wish I had read this properly the first time. Could not find a cat so I thought I would try the sardines except I thought you said pilchards so after a couple of days I note that the tomato sauce has blocked the holes up solid and there is no smell. Ho hum. At least I know what to do if I cant find the Rad Weld:doh:

Yep sardines in oil mate :D
Not sure the foxes like tomato sauce :D :D

ATB
Daz

I had a tin of dog food on a wire that I was using and "misplaced" it.
the stench in my shed after a few hot days in April was unbearable!! filthy animals even thinking of eating that sh1t!

Do you find you need to leave the bait stations for a few days before you shoot the foxes or can you place them up on the day you want to shoot them?

I'm just wondering if they'll keep coming back to the same spot if they realise there's no proper food there.

All my dead stock , foxes , deer gralloch , rabbit guts and trapped vermin goes into two holes one either end of the shoot , i strim a track round them and snare the track , this way i can run and check over 50 snares in an hour . Fresh rabbit guts seem to pull them in this time of year or fresh mackrel if you have a day out on a boat

Do you find you need to leave the bait stations for a few days before you shoot the foxes or can you place them up on the day you want to shoot them?

I'm just wondering if they'll keep coming back to the same spot if they realise there's no proper food there.

I have been wondering much the same? I took a bucket of smelly offcuts etc with me the other day, as I was told of a nuisance fox where I also shoot corvids over the pig pens. I placed the bucket out at the front of the decoy pattern just in case it would be handy! :) The wind was in a good direction in respect of carrying the smell.

I shot corvids till it got too late in the day for that and then turned to fox calling, this fox having been seen a few times early evening.

Nothing showed up, so I wandered around other likely spots to call till it was time to go home. No fox, but I was happy to have experimented.

they don't get chance to come back to mine a 40g v max makes sure

Back