Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant... too many hunters!

Rant... too many hunters!

Not sure whether I知 having a whinge or asking for advice...

<RANT> ...so I知 about to lose my little 30 acre patch close to home (the owners have sold up and I知 hoping I can quickly introduce myself to the new owners and establish a similar arrangement). It has a healthy population of muntjac and is overrun with bunnies. Anyway, I texted the owner today to see if I can pop down this week (need to get some quality time in there before they go) and they致e come back saying 土es sure, but we have allowed 2 other lads to shoot too , not sure if they値l be there as well... FFS, now I didn稚 ever have an exclusive agreement, but I feel right royally p1ssed off that on the few times I do get to go down between now and the sale I might have to contend with 2 other little scrotes... 30 acres cannot accommodate 3 hunters!</Rant>

I guess I will just have to get there at 4am and stick a big sign up, 鏑ive firing on this land today, enter at your peril

If it's overrun with bunnies as you suggest and a healthy population of munties, maybe you didn't go there enough when you should have???
    They have obviously felt the need to get extra help for some reason?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    If it's overrun with bunnies as you suggest and a healthy population of munties, maybe you didn't go there enough when you should have???They have obviously felt the need to get extra help for some reason? MS
    They are probably having the same rant as you.

That could be a reason or what I have found is some people just don't like saying no.

Bunnies, yes, perhaps too many... My bad for not having a 22 or 17 (and a few spare evenings).
    Muntjac, just about the right amount for 1 guy (me) to take one every so often.

But, to be honest, they have never cared about the rabbits or deer, never expressed a need to get rid or control them. They were just happy to help out the friend of a friend (me) with some recreational shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    They are probably having the same rant as you.
    I was there first, sob...

Do you have any evidence to suggest that the other lads they've allowed on are "little scrotes". They could be family friends of the new owners, members on here or anyone? They might have their own ground elsewhere.

Its unfortunate that the exclusive arrangement you've had for a long time has come to an end but, in my limited experience, this does seem to be a feature of stalking.

It sounds to me like you might be better off working with the new owners and the lads they've let on than against them. You've still got a foot in the door there, so there's an opportunity to improve the situation from your perspective. Having a chat with the new owners and, if possible, the new shooters might give you the opportunity to see how they plan to run things. You can then put forward what you offer (experience of the ground etc.)

It's frustrating, but tact and diplomacy is likely to be the key.

All the best with it.

Bob

yeah, some farmers will allow anyone on their land, I think it's important to ask if you have exclusivity.

I know of a guy you got permission to stalk, and take his paying guests on a piece of land - he parked his guest in a highseat by some fresh sapling plantings, hoping the guest might see a nice buck. When the stalker came back a bit later in the evening, the guest was raging! apparently another stalker had walked right under him and ruined all chances.

when the stalker asked the land owner, he said "yes, I will allow anyone to shoot deer on my ground, I need to get rid of them" . LOL.....

The current owners are not farmers, they're rich city types with too much land to turn into a garden!

Of course I don't think these other lads are "scrotes", I'm just put out by the situation. The new owners have not yet moved in so hopefully I can present my case/get introduced first.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    yeah, some farmers will allow anyone on their land, I think it's important to ask if you have exclusivity.

I know of a guy you got permission to stalk, and take his paying guests on a piece of land - he parked his guest in a highseat by some fresh sapling plantings, hoping the guest might see a nice buck. When the stalker came back a bit later in the evening, the guest was raging! apparently another stalker had walked right under him and ruined all chances.

when the stalker asked the land owner, he said "yes, I will allow anyone to shoot deer on my ground, I need to get rid of them" . LOL.....

I have a farm like that near me. Most of the idiots with tickets, who you wouldn't trust with a peashooter let alone a CF seem have permission to shoot there!! Shot over it since I was a lad, but I haven't bothered for years now as it's just too dangerous and I don't feel safe!! Pity as it has (or did have) some nice fallow passing through, and boar too!

ATB

Tom