Thread: Stalking in the Oban area.

Stalking in the Oban area.

Hi all I'm on holiday with family staying in a place called Dalavich on the side of loch Awe near Oban, as anyone done any stalking around the area and was it good. I have been out for some early walks with the dog and seen a few roe, and some signs of Reds but no sighting's yet will keep looking though. This part of the country is truely beautiful. And the weather's been real good too.

A lot of the forestry around Dalavich is Commission land but there are some privately owned areas as well. You will get Sika as well as Red and Roe in that area - but it's tough stalking there! Wait for another week or two and you will be joined by billions of midges! It's a real wildlife haven there and you should see Ospreys, Great Northern & red throated diver on Loch Awe as well as Eagles especially around Ben Cruachan at the Northern end and the Eastern side (but lots of buzzards which are mistaken for Eagles). Open hill Red stag stalking on the other side of the Loch (on the Eastern side) is usually available - you just need to knock on the doors of some of the farms.

How are the midges. leave some food outside and the pine martins will come and scoff the lot.

Are you staying in the lodges?? I used to stay in the lodge in front of main house open to the loch when the kids were smaller. there is a shooting club further west in the next village or ask at the post office /cafe, they might have a local. only roe buck in season mind, hinds and does very heavily pregnant at the moment.

Enjoy.

Hi Mate
    I see you are enjoying your holiday, Have you seen any eagles yet ?
    sounds like there is quite a lot of stalking in that area.
    make sure becky gets pleanty of pic
    have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    How are the midges. leave some food outside and the pine martins will come and scoff the lot.

Are you staying in the lodges?? I used to stay in the lodge in front of main house open to the loch when the kids were smaller. there is a shooting club further west in the next village or ask at the post office /cafe, they might have a local. only roe buck in season mind, hinds and does very heavily pregnant at the moment.

Enjoy.
    Thanks to all who have responded, we have been very lucky on the midge front so the locals have said. If the weather clears we are going eagle spotting to day or tomorrow which is my 37 birthday. Went to the Oban distillery which was really good came away with a bottle of oban and a bottle of talisker. And yes is the answer to the lodges we are a couple of lodges away from the community centre.
    got a question for you 308boy, saw a young roe buck still in velvet is thst about right, down in suffolk the bucks on my ground are all clean now. Once again thanks for replys.

Must be a young buck, old boys will be clean by now. the weather has stopped a lot of progress and it doe snot surprise me.

Hope you find something.