Thread: Roe buck with a limp.

Roe buck with a limp.

Went out with my .222 spotted a muntjac going into the rape from a grass strip around the boundry, walked around the feild to get down wind, when 2 roe came bounding up to me 30 yards away. Buck started to eye-ball me then limped over to the feild edge to thrash his 6 pointer antlers in the hedge, coming back over towards me whilst im up trying to look at his front leg through the binos, I decided because I was shooting with a .222 and the limp not being to bad to let him cary on.

What would you have done ?

leave him text book answer

Although the Deer Acts and Orders contain exceptions, particularly to allow occupiers to protect their crops (certain conditions apply) from excessive damage, and to permit mercy killing of an animal to prevent suffering, the stalker must NOT...

use anything except legal firearms to kill deer

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Started to reply and this happened....
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Started to reply and this happened....
    if you where to run an anonymous poll , 98% would say thank you nice one in the freezer with you ..

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    leave him text book answer

Although the Deer Acts and Orders contain exceptions, particularly to allow occupiers to protect their crops (certain conditions apply) from excessive damage, and to permit mercy killing of an animal to prevent suffering, the stalker must NOT...

use anything except legal firearms to kill deer

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
    I don't think that this is correct; since the 2007 ammendment, in England and Wales we can now use any method to humanely destroy an injured or diseased deer, if a firearm is used it doesn't have to be deer legal. (i'm sure someone will come along shortly with the exact wording)

Having said that, I think the guy made the correct decision not to shoot it based on his judgement of the injury. I would be going back to the area with a proper deer rifle over the next few days just to satisfy my own curiosity and further my knowledge by shooting this buck and examining him.

Personally, I can't see much point in stalking with a rifle that is legal for some of the deer on the ground and in season but not others unless thats all you've got but thats just my opinion.

JC

I was out after a Fox thats why I was shooting with my .222, I will be going back over the next few days to check up on the buck to see how he is doing and with my .243 in check.

Sorry mate, I misunderstood, I thought you were muntjac stalking. Keep us posted if you catch up with the buck, its always good to see/hear how an injury or abnormality pans out. Cheers, JC