Thread: Recent stalking/deer books

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Recent stalking/deer books

Anyone else read the new book from Duff Hart-Davis, Among The Deer?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Among-Deer-W.../dp/1846890969

It recounts his experiences of stalking in both Scotland and England. As stalking reminiscences go it is pretty good - I found a few familliar names in amongst his stories!

In a similar vein, has anyone read John Fletcher's fascinating history of deer parks (Gardens of Earthly Delight)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardens-Eart...6870299&sr=1-4

If not, I'd definitely recommend it, whether or not you are "into" deer parks. It certainly whetted my apetite to go visit some deer parks!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks Dom,
    Nice to have some recommendations for upcoming (not straight away) Birthday list.
    Neal

I recently ordered the Duff Hart-Davis book and am looking forward to reading it. Review

Not a stalking book but one involving flyfishing is called The Snowfly by Joseph Heywood, excellent read.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I was halfway through John Fletchers excellent new book but got a bit distracted by a couple of ebay purchased books, going back to it now. Very good to see a book that is both a detailed reference book and a good read too. I reckon John knows a thing or two about deer. I thought about bidding for the D H-D book on the BDS auction but several people had the same idea! JC

Just started the Fletcher book, which I picked up at the weekend. Enjoyable and informative so far.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Anyone else read the new book from Duff Hart-Davis, Among The Deer?
    Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered a copy for a bit of holiday reading next week.

Busy reading "with the old breed" by EB Sledge, i just cant put the thing down. Before that read a very old copy of All quiet on the western front. Two books i would recommend although not deer stalking