284 winchester

palo

Anybody on here use a 284 winchester for stalking ?
If I wanted to build one on a sako action would I need the 308 or longer 270 action.

The advantage, if any, is that it can be used with a 'short' action. If you go to a long action, a 280 is probably the way to go. Back to the 284W; I always wanted one so I bought a 7-08 Rem 700, to rechamber to 284W. After shooting Light Mag Hornady 139s @ 2990fps, I decided not to go that route. The 7-08 is a great deer round. Stupid me, I ended up selling that gun and built a 280. A 284 is good with 150gn, or lighter bullets. If you need to use heavier bullets for larger game, I'd go with a 280. capt david

Anybody on here use a 284 winchester for stalking ?
If I wanted to build one on a sako action would I need the 308 or longer 270 action.

You could use either but, as Capt David has implied, the short action version will not work so well with anything other than light for calibre bullets. If you want to make the heavies work you need more powder room and for that you'll need to seat the bullets further out than a shorter actioned magazine will tolerate, you'd also want the the throat leade set a bit longer to get the right clearance to the lands for optimal accuracy. I should know because I've been through all of this with a Sako AV actioned (formerly .270win) variant of the .284. ie. a 6.5-284 which I load with heavy for calibre bullets.

This is just my humble opinion of course but I'd say use the long action and get Border Barrels or someone who really knows their stuff (as opposed to knows how to self promote) to do the barrel, they will make the .284 work right. Or do as the good capt says with a shorter action and load it light and fast.

you need a long action if you want to shoot medium to heavy bullets ,as for accuracy it better than the 6.5 version as in term of ballistics and mega accurate and barrels last twice as long ,i use mine in cmpitition out to over 1200 yds ,but for stalking its perfect in a sako or tika long action with 140-160 ballistic tips

Thanks for the replies lads.
I have a sako 6.5x55 so it looks like that would be a good action to use if I decide to do it.
What would the recoil be like in a hunting rifle ?
Would it be similar to a 270 ?

Thanks for the replies lads.
I have a sako 6.5x55 so it looks like that would be a good action to use if I decide to do it.
What would the recoil be like in a hunting rifle ?
Would it be similar to a 270 ?

Curiously, in my own experience with my 6.5-284 (with a 24" bbl) it does not develop the recoil or anything like the blast that the same rifle used to when it was a .270win with a 22" bbl, even though it now throws a 140grain bullet out at a tad over 3000 fps, ie a heavier, better b.c. bullet at about only 75fps less m.v. than when I used 130grainers in the .270..... and now I'm reaching for my tin hat as I know the purveyors of logic will say this fact is impossible nonesense.... but a fact it is, nonetheless

Whether this is some function of the cartridge shape/internal ballistics or just the change of rifle configuration and whether the same phenomenon will be witnessed in the straight .284... I cannot say.

I have built a couple of 284's on bolt actions. Be aware that some actions will require feed rail alterations to insure reliable feeding when converting a standard -06 sized bolt face.

The 284 is a kicker cartridge but I would get a 280 over it any day. Easier to rebarrel, good ballistics, easily obtained brass. The last 280 I built was on a FN mauser and it put 140 grain Sierras into the .3's on the 5th, 6th, and 7th round from a freshly turned, threaded, and chambered Douglas Air Gauged barrel. Evidently, the accuracy never backed off as the fellow I built it for is still using it 2 decades later.~Muir

Why not just continue using it as a 6.5x55? surely performance differences are marginal!

Spend the money on a good stalking trip instead :D

Philistine! Thar!! Where are you when the clarion calls???:D~Muir

You called my lord Muirship.;):D:thumb:

When I was looking at a 7mm I too considered the 284, but for stalking I found that like Muir says the 280/280AI would suit me better, and then I sold the custom barrel because I decided that the old 270 was as good as either and when shooting abroad getting ammo would be no problem. After all the 284 was brought out to mirror the 270 performance but from an auto rifle. That said if you went the 284 route you would still get the thumbs up from me for what that is worth.:lol:

PLK
Sorry mate a 6.5X55 even pumped up to the max would have trouble living with a big 7mm once you start shooting bullets over 130gn. There have been plenty of posts in the past about the merits or other wise of this caliber, some have been err quite lively.:rofl: A 6.5 would be considered a bit light for boar while a good 7mm would be fine.

I see your point that may be the chap should spend his hard earned cash on more stalking rather than another rifle, there are plenty of stalkers that spend a fortune on custom rifles to use them on deer a couple of times a year. But some of us have enough stalking and couldn’t do justice to any more, trips abroad are all well and good but if you are working full time you only get so many holidays and some will have to be spent with the family because failure to keep her happy would cost you far more than a new rifle. :doh:

ATB

Tahr

I have just had an unused .284 Win model 100 semiauto scoped up here in Germany with a S&B 2.5-10x56 lit reticle and a S&B 1.25-4x24 for driven boar work both on swing off EAW mounts. But I am going to have to reload for it as I cannot buy the ammo over the counter here.

I have just had an unused .284 Win model 100 semiauto scoped up here in Germany with a S&B 2.5-10x56 lit reticle and a S&B 1.25-4x24 for driven boar work both on swing off EAW mounts. But I am going to have to reload for it as I cannot buy the ammo over the counter here.

There was a time when all reloading dies for the 284 were "Small Base" because of the Model 100 it was chambered in, but this may not be the case now. You might want to contact the die makers to make sure that this is the case still so that you will have trouble free functioning in your auto-loading Winchester. If that isn't possible (or it's too late!) you can hire a machinist to make a short section of 7/8-14 threaded stock bored to the SAAMI dimensions of the 284 lead area and use this in a separate operation. It need not be fancy, you just need to squeeze down that short section ahead of the rim to factory spec.

With luck, you won't need to bother but my Winchester M-100 was not forgiving in this regard.~Muir

Back