Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: norma primer pockets

norma primer pockets

just got my hands on 200 once fired norma cases in 243,resized them all cleaned and it seems the primer pockets are a little tooooooooo samll,the primers are going in but at the expence of a bust hand primer lever.

anyone any ideas how to solve the problem and making sure i dont bust another hand primer tool
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Try a different brand of primer. I had a similar problem with a batch of .308 norma cases years ago they were almost impossible to load with CCI primers and reaming them out was a nightmare. I can't remember what brand of primer I used in the end but the change did the trick.

Morning Mick.

Use a primer pocket reamer... Lyman makes a nice version ( approx 10.99 ). I had the same problem with .243 Norma brass, in that not all the pockets were uniform... A couple of turns with the reamer takes off the excess brass to square the pocket out, and the primers went in a lot easier, were a snug fit, but flush.... and did not break the hand held primer arm after that either...

The reamer has a pre-set depth, so you can`t take out too much brass, but make sure you get the correct size, Large Primer or Small primer...

All the best.

Neil.

I've found some of my CCI LR BR primers to sometimes be a bit sticky too. Have blown a few when seating over the last 12 months or so, and have had a few that did not want to sit flush, even after having cleaned/reamed out the pockets. Been the same issue with Norma, Fed, Win brass. might try another brand next time.......or maybe its my technique

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    ...... and it seems the primer pockets are a little tooooooooo small,.....
    Mick. Too small in diameter or too small in depth? The reamer I have only addresses the depth issue, I haven't seen a tool that correctly opens up the diameter, but I am sure there will be one out there. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Mick. Too small in diameter or too small in depth? The reamer I have only addresses the depth issue, I haven't seen a tool that correctly opens up the diameter, but I am sure there will be one out there. Regards JCS
    This isn't the Op's problem.

If the primer pockets were shallow, the primers would still go in. You're talking about a primer pocket 'uniformer' which is different from a reamer.

Most folk use the latter to remove the crimp on military cases.

Back to Mick.......

Let me guess. Are you using PRVI (PPU) primers by any chance?

the pockets are reamed out with large reamer and the primers are federal,some are going in ok but others dont want to go

Tried PRVI once on all cases - including PRVI, and had to throw 'em away.

Federal are tough primers.

Standard Remington 9.5 or 9.5Mag (sorry - no half fraction symbol on my keyboard) are slightly undersized and should fit snug.

Otherwise S&B. If neither, you're done for

I had exactly the same problem with norma brass. The worst were remington rifle primers which i have given up on now after using 15 or 20. They would be too much for a hand primer. I have changed to federal match primers and these seem far easier to do. I do all my priming on the press and clean the pockets well beforehand.

these are fed magnum primers and are tight to say the least,ive tried other primers and still causing the same problem.
    was thinking of using a bit of lube on a cotton bud the wipe clean to see if that helps or will that be not safe