Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Wales news - Deer in Conwy may have been killed for antler 'trophy'

BBC Wales news - Deer in Conwy may have been killed for antler 'trophy'

/l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Best not send them round to my place; I've only got a few trophies but they'd put in the same league as Hanibal Lecter...mind you, I do enjoy the odd bit of (roe) liver and a nice chianti!

The old plod haven't a clue...... Unless roe have made it to Conwy there wouldn't be any deer wearing antlers at this time of year. My guess is they have found a dead fallow (RTA?) that had just cast!!

There have been the odd roe, but they are all fallow. They were still holding antler at the end of April but have all shed now. It makes better news if it was just the antler that was taken! However, the more that is done to target poachers the better, even if this was just an RTA!

Dama , my reds are already showing 12 points and the fallow are growing fast as well, After the velvet I should think, can,t afford little blue pills

Quote Originally Posted by Dama View Post
    The old plod haven't a clue...... Unless roe have made it to Conwy there wouldn't be any deer wearing antlers at this time of year. My guess is they have found a dead fallow (RTA?) that had just cast!!
    Roe have actually made it all the way to Bangor, there is a photo of one in a garden there and another was shot at Kinmel in about 2004. There were a few being reported in various places in Denbighshire and Conwy in 2007 but then they seemed to disappear, perhaps the lampers got them.

I really don't trust press reports these days, they're only looking for the headline and b*gger the truth and I agree there is a strong possibility that a recently cast fallow buck was killed somehow, the value of the deer is surely in the meat and even a good head has little value unless attached to the skull, "Chinese" medicine apart I can think of no good reason why a poached deer should only have the antlers removed.

Chinese medicine was the first thing that crossed my mind too. Why the police immediately jump to the conclusion that the culprits might be trophy hunters is completely baffling. They make no mention of how the beast was killed so the whole carcass might well be an RTA post-casting.

How far advanced are the fallow with you, Paul?
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Saw some deer just outside St. Asaph on the top road to Denbigh, driving by so all I saw were the ears above the corn.

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 22-06-2011 at 16:08.

they can muster a helicopter to try and pick up a poacher who is clearly no longer there but have a 40 audi stolen and where are they!?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    Chinese medicine was the first thing that crossed my mind too. Why the police immediately jump to the conclusion that the culprits might be trophy hunters is completely baffling. They make no mention of how the beast was killed so the whole carcass might well be an RTA post-casting.

How far advanced are the fallow with you, Paul?
    Haven't been out for a look recently, I'm a bit tied up with sea trout fishing up here and roe stalking darn sarf at the moment. I saw a couple outside St. Asaph today but they were not clearly visible in the crops.