new Leica magnus rifle scopes

JabaliHunter

New Leica scopes with illuminated reticles!
Leica Camera AG - Rifle Scopes Magnus

img19193.jpg

its about bloody time , i wouldnt want to see the price tag i may have to sell the wife to finance one !:D

I was told they are re badged Leupolds or at least made my Leupold..anyone care to shed any possible light on this?

We had a closer look at them this year at the IWA, my friend who is a bit of an swaro fan
thought the leica had the edge on the swaro.
Better field of view at the low mag setting and overall better clarity.
Dot was better to, some how crisper was the verdict.

By the way we went back and forth between the swaro and Leica stand.
edi

I was told they are re badged Leupolds or at least made my Leupold..anyone care to shed any possible light on this?
I heard that way back, Leupold made the tubes and Leica made the glass, but no idea about the other internals and assembly.
They disappeared from the market for a while, then the 2 ER models came out (back?), followed now by the Magnus. Don't know who makes them or where now...

The website says "Made in Germany".
If their rifle scopes are anywhere near as good as their binoculars they will certainly go on my wish list for when I win the lottery.

I bought 3.5-14 ER model back in early April on a whim when I was in London from the Leica store.

Optically they are amazing. I went for the ballistic reticle. My only criticisms are that the crosshairs are way too fine and the PA adjustment wheel isn`t marked with any distances. As clear as the glass is I would pay more for the Zeiss Victory range anyday.

They do look good and if they are as good as their bino's then definitely worth having.
However, I think they may have missed a trick by not doing one with a 50mm objective which many stalkers including myself favour.:confused:
MS

The website says "Made in Germany".
If their rifle scopes are anywhere near as good as their binoculars they will certainly go on my wish list for when I win the lottery.

If their scopes are as good as their binos...........I'd still go for Swarovski:stir:

Harry you might be correct with your answer i have used lieca for years and have the trinovid 7 x 42 would not swap them for any other type of bins. But i was out with a guest who has the hd rangfinder type and that is now 3 -4 times i have used this type and i must say they were not as good as mine and they are 12 years old and well used. If the scopes are made the same way as there new optics i would stick with the tried and tested.

They had some of the new scopes on the Leica stand at the CLA.

I had a look through one and have to say it was impressive. However, its hard to say how good they really are having only looked through them beneath a cloudless sky at two o'clock in the afternoon in July.

I'd be interested to hear how they do at first and last light.

Cheers,

Bob

Interesting about the Swarowski suit though. Trouble is I suspect that you get a few top names in optics, they write a big computer program to optimise all the various bits and I suspect Leitz, Swarovski and Zeiss will come up with pretty much the same solution. They all use top grade glass and physics is physics!

David.

I wouldn't buy a Leica scope until the case is settled.
There's a chance you'll end up with an obsolete item that Leica couldn't make parts for even if they wanted to.

Back