Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst group or a problem?

Worst group or a problem?

Got my .308 Howa back from the gunsmiths recently after screwcutting and picked up some Prvi 150gr SP at the same time. I had not had a chance to get to the range before i had a booked stalk on Sunday. First shot at 30 yards to check it was on paper was a inch left, moved to 100 and 7 shots spread over about 8 inches, adjusting the scope bore no relation to where the next round went. First time with the Prvi SPs but the rifle usually shoots Prvi FMJs at around MOA. The rifle shot badly with Winchester Super X before the chop but not to this extreme. Crown looks fine, he did another of my rifles at the same time which is spot on. Everything tight. You had any rounds shoot this badly before?? Used the estate rifle and got a nice buck but i am a bit worried about my rifle now.
    cheers

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    rooster

Others on here will have more experience but....were your groups shot with the moderator on or off?

If it was with the mod on, first thing I'd do is try some groups without it.
    If it was without the mod, then I'd be heading back to the gunsmith to see if there was anything untoward when the action/barrel was put back in the stock.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

IMHO, you need to go back to basics and try for a group with the exact ammunition you used sucessfully prior to the theading.
    It's impossible to fathom more than one scenario at a time.
    Try 3 with mod off, then 3 with mod on, then the PPU in the same format.
    My mates Howa loves the stuff but thats no guarantee.
    hope this helps
    om

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    rooster

Others on here will have more experience but....were your groups shot with the moderator on or off?

If it was with the mod on, first thing I'd do is try some groups without it.
    If it was without the mod, then I'd be heading back to the gunsmith to see if there was anything untoward when the action/barrel was put back in the stock.

willie_gunn
    The only time i have had this happen was when the thread on my rifle was damaged and the rounds were clipping the mod,had to have the rifle re-threaded which cured the problem .If you don't have the mod on I would be going back to the gunsmith and getting him to look at it

deerhunter270

I had a similar problem with a Howa and ended up getting rid of it. Check the mod isn't causing the barrel to touch the stock, The mounts, blocks etc haven't loosened.

There's not a bad review out there for Howa so I think I was just unlucky.

Mod was on, stock is stiffer than a stiff thing (one of Edi's) will give it a try at the range again soon.

hi,

i would follow willies/oldmans advice.
    go back to basics with original ammo that gave you a good zero.
    if your zero is still eight inch plus both with and without mod with that ammo then try more rounds in the rifle and maybe you will find one that will suit the rifle.
    what i would do is also try it at 50 yards and see if the groups tight.
    do this without the mod though, you may find that something has changed when the work was carried out.

good luck mate

keep us informed

I had the same problem after getting my brno screw cut. It was a ruined crown causing it and had to get it re screw cut and re crowned. I think an 8 inch group from a rifle that was shooting well is probably unfortunately due to a problem witht he screw cut.

look at the inside edge of the mod see if its got a shim mark on it

Try the FMJ privi again, if its ok then its the ammo. Some rifle barrels do not shoot well with certain types of ammo. Also check the bullet is not clipping the mod and that it is seated square on the barrel.