Thread: My first skull mount

My first skull mount

Right well after getting a nice little six point buck I thought I should mount it and fancied doing it myself.

So anyway I set about skinning the head and then boiled it out which was nice and easy. and it came up well although i lost a little colour to the base of the coronets.

I then left the skull soaking in the sink whilst going to boots to buy some 6% hydrogen peroxide. Once home I soaked cotton wool in the peroxide and left it on for 16 hours and gave it a clean and the skull came up well.

Anyway I set about trying to cut the skull into something like a skull ready to be mounted. So i put it in the work mate and started to cut with a saw and gradually it became smaller as I tried to make it symmetrical anyway it got to the point where I was happy with it and looked at having it mounted.

Adrian C off her replied to my thread very kindly offering to send me a shield with the mounting clip thing on it that arrived today. Thanks again Adrian.

Anyway in a matter of moments the skull was on the shield and then hammered on the wall. Im happy with how its come out and actually quite enjoyed the whole process of it all. Once more thanks for the shield Adrian.

George

Nicely done George. You've probably worked this out already but, if you cut the skull before you boil/clean/bleach its about a million times less work!

Sorry we keep missing each other on the phone, I'll try again tomorrow.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Nicely done George. You've probably worked this out already but, if you cut the skull before you boil/clean/bleach its about a million times less work!

Sorry we keep missing each other on the phone, I'll try again tomorrow.

JC
    Yeah a pre cut would have reduced the work involved a lot but theres always next time. I have literally just PMd you before I looked at this.

George

Smart job but i thought it might be THE head now that would have been funny

Not a problem George, I'm glad you're pleased with it. It looks good up there on the wall and it will always bring back good memories of that stalk each time you see it.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.