Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red calf tagging

red calf tagging

had the opportunity to visit euston estate nr thetford again this year for the annual tagging of the red calf ,we met at the grand house of the duke of grafton and was greeted by a film crew who were to be with us for the day ,the presenter was familiar ,dont worry not country file .anyway a great day managed 4 calf which was really good for the tv crew .be interesting to see where they turn up over the next few years .
    Last edited by norma 308; 01-06-2011 at 20:59. Reason: cant spell

Cool

Hi Norma.
    I used to tag about 50 wild red calfes each year which was a challange even in an area with several thousand hinds on. after a year or 2 we started getting the tags back and after doing some research found that the hinds were almost always shot within 3km of where they were born and as you would expect the stags never had much of a pattern and came in from all over sometimes more than 20miles from where they were born.

One fo the calves tagged last year was shot 40km away from where it was tagged so they do travel big distances.

its great to be able to put a little something back and try and help find out just what lives these superb beasts live down around thetford ,another estate is also taking part in the tagging.saw alot of munty and roe does .had my thetford stag measured now he has dried out ,he made a bronze so i will get him cut and mounted now ,just left the estate and saw 4 huge stags all medal standard about 50 yrds from the road a great end to the day .

Did Chris measure it?

I little bird told me that he has been taken on as a CIC measurer

yes he did mate .yes he is a trainee for about a year and he has set up his outbuilding should anyone want a head measured ,a nicer bloke you couldnt meet .really really into his deer and he has put up with me for about 5 years now

two more calfs tagged yesterday on a warm day ,didnt go but chris reported and was happy so 6 alltold not a record but on par with previous years look out for em guys, let chris know even if you spot one !

Very soon the website deertags.org.uk will be live, which will give more information on the tagging program and all the partners.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    two more calfs tagged yesterday on a warm day ,didnt go but chris reported and was happy so 6 alltold not a record but on par with previous years look out for em guys, let chris know even if you spot one !
    Just out of interest Norma how do you capture the calfs? Do you dart them?

its a very skillful dangerous process that requires years of training and may well be part of dsc 1 and 2 lol
    its easy, i say,. someone whos never got one yet ,you get a hesion sheet and on spotting said calf you as smoothly as poss cover he/she with it .the catchers form a beating line through the wood and you just walk gently in a nice orderly line thats not so easy
    when caught calf is tagged ,sex noted ,and released ,quick and i would like to say painless but i remember getting my ear pierced in the 80's owch