What NV ?

LONG RANGE CAPT

I've been thinking about a NV scope/ NV adaption for a while and would like to get one later this year, there seems to be so much on the market I don't know were to start. :wacko:
My experience with NV has been during my service with the military - e.g. - CWS/Common Weapon Site (Kite) & issue NV monocular.
Whats out there that compares to these or is better ?

Kind Regards
Rob

What is your budget and what do you want it for?

Archer Gen 3 £1650 +. Great bit of kit.
Digital is comparable sort of to Gen 2. about £550+.
Gen 1 £350+

There are good and bad points to each.

There is others and it is a minefield. I have typed missives on this subject to others before, so am going to avoid it today. It is definitely like buying a scope. Buy once buy right.

I never got on with the kite....great bit of kit but when on a .22 it was just too high over the bore

I used the archer and was okay but the same thing much improved is the NVM14 from nightvisiongear.co.uk

Much better mounting system easier to set up and switch between rifles. They've also improved their laser recently and its the mutts nuts!

It looks good but isn't it only a gen 2? (Unsure how much difference that would make)
It is also more expensive.
I'd be interested in comparing it against my archer just to see the difference.

I use one of the new Pulsar N550 digital night sights. It cost a grand and is brilliant and not green. It comes with built in IR torch and an extra more powerful one can be mounted to the side. You can record video directly from it which is pretty cool. Look for it on you tube and you'll see some great videos of it in action.

Cheers

I guess in IR mode you get reflection from water particles. But you don't need IR unless there its completely dark.

Dedicated units are not an option for me as I simply cannot justify a dedicate NV rifle and I can't be bothered with the prospect of re-zero'ing all the time. I am still unsure however about whether in front of the scope or behind the scope provides the best compromise for an adaptor style unit. I currently have a Cobra Merlin and find it more than adequate, but being a complete gadget freak am always on the hunt for new toys. I like the idea of not being pushed back down the stock by the unit by having one that fits on the objective lens, but there appear to be resolution issues with those. Like most, would love a Gen3, but really can't justify the dosh.

Get a scope with the longest eye relief you can. That helps. and then you may only need a slip on butt pad. I have never looked through a front mount nv but there are certainly lots of conversations about them. I like the archer. One unit fits many. All my rifles have an adapter so I can use the NV.
But back to the question? Which scope depends on budget and its use.

Back