American Bear Whisperer

Alycidon

Just seen this guy in TV tonight, a really beautiful watch. Bears frighten me to death, no way would I ever consider tackling one unless it was him or me. This guy who has spent half his life doing research on them feeds them by hand, puts radio collars on them, in the wild. And they still the radio collared ones (12 in total) get shot in season, how tragic for him, all that work taming a wild bear and someone shoots it. He takes it very well though, a lot better than I would. !!. One tonight was hit at about 15 yards from a high seat, bear comes for the food and down he goes. Rats in a barrel come to mind, what satisfaction is there is such a shot.

Anyway just have a look next week and make your own minds up.

A

You going to tell us where to look or are you keeping secrets :D senior moment?

John

I believe I've seen the program you are referring to (correct me if I'm wrong) and while it makes great TV, I think you really have to put the whole thing in perspective; they are, after all, wild bears. There have been several of these so-called "bear whisperer" types, notably Timothy Treadwell, the vast majority of whom have all met a similiar fate (see http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/news/Alaska_current_events_815.htm for an interesting read). While I do think there is a lot of value in the work that (genuine) bear biologists do, "taming" a wild animal is not what I would consider beneficial to the species as a whole. Generally speaking, bears in the wild are just as afraid of humans as humans are of them; however, when bears lose the fear of man problems arise. Sadly, by making these bears accustomed to humans the "bear whisperer" is making these bears are much more likely (than bears who have never seen humans) to come to the bait in the presence of hunters. Bear baiting is a controversial form of hunting and is illegal in many parts of North America - a format that doesn't fall within my personal "fair chase" criterion - however, it is used prolifically. So, all in all, I found the show to be very intriguing, but of no real benefit to the species. Just my 2p.

Is this the guy who tries to 'educate' the bears not to break into houses by shooting them with rubber buckshot? :D

It's quite entertaining television, but you do have to question their non-lethal policy when you look at the sheer numbers of bears they seem to have living in/around the town!

I saw that series. Another person who will be finding his way through the digestive track of some bruin some day.

An 83 year old woman in the US south who'd been feeding black bears for years was killed last year by a bear that had been frequenting her property for some time. Bears are temperamental and unpredictable. The best thing to do to bears on your property, like mountain lions, is shoot them. JMHO of course.~Muir

Another person who will be finding his way through the digestive track of some bruin some day.

Whilst these people may think they are pursuing a noble cause, they are dealing with a wild predator; a carnivore that may not reciprocate their affection.

Back