Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: A marauding stag

  1. #1

    A marauding stag

    A bit of background info....

    On the estate here we have a self righteous auld bugger that has a private house and a large garden, he has the usual shrubs and fruit trees that he takes great pride in. He has gone to the extent of puting a deer fence around his garden but doesnt bother to shut his driveway gate so effectively leaving a 12' hole in the fence.

    On occasion he has phoned asking (no sorry, telling) us to shoot a stag that is chomping his way through the apple trees and has done so again today. These Stags are our hill herd and as you can understand we dont want to go blatting Stags just because he cant be arse to shut his gate, he usually comes out with "well, if you dont do it, Il get someone in to do it".

    Where do we stand?

    Remebering Im in jockland!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

  2. #2
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    A bit of background info....

    On the estate here we have a self righteous auld bugger that has a private house and a large garden, he has the usual shrubs and fruit trees that he takes great pride in. He has gone to the extent of puting a deer fence around his garden but doesnt bother to shut his driveway gate so effectively leaving a 12' hole in the fence.

    On occasion he has phoned asking (no sorry, telling) us to shoot a stag that is chomping his way through the apple trees and has done so again today. These Stags are our hill herd and as you can understand we dont want to go blatting Stags just because he cant be arse to shut his gate, he usually comes out with "well, if you dont do it, Il get someone in to do it".

    Where do we stand?

    Remebering Im in jockland!
    If he owns the sporting rights on his land.

    I'd think...He either:

    Needs out of season authorisation from SNH/DCS, under section 10, Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 [emergency measures]. Without which he, or his gun, would be out of order killing said stag.

    or...

    He waits till July 1st and does it, in season, without any need for authorisation.

    But don't quote me on this, ask a proper expert.

  3. #3
    Surely Dan the land would still have to be passed as suitable for full bore rifle use before someone can just come in and start blasting???

    Further, I thought the part about marauding deer was referring to enclosed land etc but could be wrong. In other words, if the gate is open allowing the deer access then it could be also be driven out solving the problem.

    I have a large garden but suitable for .308

  4. #4
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    I find very distrubing this widly held notion, that so many have, that it is the police who have the right to authorise calibres on land. However I do accept that they have the right to append conditions to anyone's certificate, a separate matter entirely.

    Class of firearms permitted ... is, I believe, still the prerogative of the landowner/holder of the sporting rights. Despite the evident manipulative efforts of others.
    Last edited by Tamus; 02-06-2011 at 18:32. Reason: "Distrubing" ??? :-0

  5. #5
    Ah dan dilemma a big chain and padlock through the gates .
    Get on to the local police wildlife man to go and have a quite word

    He'll be a white settler from England shire calling the shots no doubt ,sounds just like them . A police jobby ,should shut him up after all he has secured the rest of his castle at his expense leaving the gate open only asks for problems .there's idiots everywhere .

    Electronic gate opener required .

  6. #6
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Ah dan dilemma a big chain and padlock through the gates .
    Get on to the local police wildlife man to go and have a quite word

    He'll be a white settler from England shire calling the shots no doubt ,sounds just like them . A police jobby ,should shut him up after all he has secured the rest of his castle at his expense leaving the gate open only asks for problems .there's idiots everywhere .

    Electronic gate opener required .
    What a wind-up merchant you are

    Next you'll be saying fields aren't "enclosed land" either unless they're surround by 6ft high, deer proof fences with razor wire on top and intruder alarms all round for good measure... Maybe he should have a man on the gate, in uniform too.... I dunno but I still reckon if it's his land it's his call.

    I'm off out for that wee 6 pointer now... at least he's in season, even if he is in my fields and eating 'erbs in my reseed... cheerie bye.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    A bit of background info....

    On the estate here we have a self righteous auld bugger that has a private house and a large garden, he has the usual shrubs and fruit trees that he takes great pride in. He has gone to the extent of puting a deer fence around his garden but doesnt bother to shut his driveway gate so effectively leaving a 12' hole in the fence.

    On occasion he has phoned asking (no sorry, telling) us to shoot a stag that is chomping his way through the apple trees and has done so again today. These Stags are our hill herd and as you can understand we dont want to go blatting Stags just because he cant be arse to shut his gate, he usually comes out with "well, if you dont do it, Il get someone in to do it".

    Where do we stand?

    Remebering Im in jockland!
    Not being funny Dan but they are not your deer they are not anyones deer.

    The occupier can shoot out of season without the need for approval authorisation as can the owner in person, employee and resident of the land if have written permission from the occupier.The occupier must be able to defend the position that serious damage will occur if the deer are not taken or killed.)

    So he would be within his rights to shoot the Deer if he or any of the above shot the stag and as long as it died on his land it would be his deer.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post

    Next you'll be saying fields aren't "enclosed land" either unless they're surround by 6ft high, deer proof fences with razor wire on top and intruder alarms all round for good measure... Maybe he should have a man on the gate, in uniform too.... I dunno but I still reckon if it's his land it's his call.
    When people move into the countryside the forget they must adjust to it's ways not the other way around .

    The stag isn't doing anything wrong after all, the white settler moved into the stags home .

    It does my head in that those with big cheque books,think they can do what they like ,that everyone should jump when they shout .

  9. #9
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by J Blane View Post
    Not being funny Dan but they are not your deer they are not anyones deer.

    The occupier can shoot out of season without the need for approval authorisation as can the owner in person, employee and resident of the land if have written permission from the occupier.The occupier must be able to defend the position that serious damage will occur if the deer are not taken or killed.)

    So he would be within his rights to shoot the Deer if he or any of the above shot the stag and as long as it died on his land it would be his deer.
    Crikey, I couldn't leave the house without pointing you in the right direction on your misguided belief.

    Scroll to the bottom of the following please ie. see para 4.7.

    http://www.bds.org.uk/response_to_th...e_seasons.html

  10. #10
    I'd just tell him it'll be sorted out when the stags start then theres no worries.

Similar Threads

  1. first stag
    By ajfab in forum Photos
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 30-06-2011, 08:07
  2. My first Stag.
    By philross in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-03-2011, 13:59
  3. Wanted Either 1 Red stag or 1 Sika stag or 1 Fallow buck
    By roebuck100 in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 21:00
  4. My first stag
    By DeerStalker Brent in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-10-2010, 20:28
  5. Our stag
    By Fester in forum Photos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-07-2008, 10:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •