Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: humane dispatch

humane dispatch

2 quick questions for those of you who have a pistol for humane dispatch:

Is there a requirement to use expanding ammo and if so, how hard is it to get factory loads?

If you are faced with a beast that has enough spark remaining to stop you getting right in on top of it, is a heart lung shot appropriate or is it always a case of going for the head or neck?

Cheers

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    2 quick questions for those of you who have a pistol for humane dispatch:

Is there a requirement to use expanding ammo and if so, how hard is it to get factory loads?

If you are faced with a beast that has enough spark remaining to stop you getting right in on top of it, is a heart lung shot appropriate or is it always a case of going for the head or neck?

Cheers

Novice
    I'm not sure of a requirement but I use standard factory wadcutters, no problem in getting them from shops at all. If I get a callout and it's still got enough about it to be out of range there is always the .22 or a centrefire in the truck.

Technically pistol calibres such as 32/38/357 are not deer legal their use is only covered for humane dispatch under the Sect. 6 of the Deer Act,and as they are not covered as approved calibres for normal deer culling there is no legal definition relevant to bullet type,however expanding ammo is desirable,and never use wadcutters! The BDS tried to argue this definition as a reason for banning handguns for deerstalkers, which they deemed were not necessary.The recent re-definition of what can be used to cull an injured deer gives more flexibility on what can be used, ie shotgun/.22/knives(be careful as some people see this as cruel and the RSPCA have attempted to seek prosecutions where suffering was alleged),definitely not crossbows/baseball bats or similar/...lethal injection and in some cases captive bolts are employed by those licensed for IMMOBILON or trained in the use of captive bolts eg RSPCA INSPECTORS/VETS/SLAUGHTERMEN. There is no doubt if you attempted to unravel some aspects of the Deer Act and Firearms Statutes you would see a minefield of potential offences crossing over within those Acts, eg, what Statute exempts a person performing a humane dispatch on the Highway from discharging within the 50ft limit on that highway? Answer/ None...an offence! Just an example of the potential to lose your FAC whilst performing a service, maybe fo the Police,ignorance is no defence! And contrary to popular opinion a police officer cannot give his/her exemption to these Acts as they are primarily legislation which can only be revised by Parliament!! Double Whammy..ATB and Happy DispatchingAnton

Does anyone have one for humane dispatch of mamals in cage traps

Quote Originally Posted by ytene View Post
    Technically pistol calibres such as 32/38/357 are not deer legal
    .32 is bigger calibre than .243, it's even bigger than .308 or 30-06 but there's not the muzzle energy - I appreciate that. That said we are not suggesting hunting with one, merely using one for humane dispatch at close quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by ytene View Post
    what Statute exempts a person performing a humane dispatch on the Highway from discharging within the 50ft limit on that highway? Answer/ None...an offence!
    That's not an offence. Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway having vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

.22RF/-410s are recommended for these jobs most wildlife trusts/RSPB/ etc have rangers controlling squirrels or mink A.22 air rifle may be sufficient,but may be underpowered at 12ft/lbs, an FAC version would be better I imagine a gamekeeper/farmer or someone in a similar role would have good reason to possess a firearm for vermin control without much of a problem,Anton.

Apache, That is perfectly true, but the Highways Act does not have primacy over The Firearms Act and negligence with a firearm on the Highway,is achieved by regard to the lawful authority/excuse being present and is nullified by those resulting injuries/interruption/endangerment, as an example a person in the employ of a police force for humane dispatch is liable to ensure the avoidance of the above occurrences...this is one of the reasons that in my County a Police Officer is sent to RTCs involving deer to assist in the provision of safety to the public and the dispatcher on the Highway.The possible offence occurs not by the discharge of the firearm but by not having the preventative measures in place prior to that discharge,therefore if negligence was the basis of the complaint,the 50ft rule could be used as a defence of having lawful authority or excuse,however the use of the firearm without reasonable safety measures resulting in any of the above would void that defence..my original post was referring to a situation where a person stops on the highway and performs a humane dispatch without the pre/mentioned safeguards in place ie does it of their own volution and is the subject to a complaint made to the Police . It is a difficult one, but I can assure you that it is not an impossible scenario ..acooleague of mine was carrying out a dispatch albeit with a knife and was reported by a motorway safety officer for cruelty..that one definitely came as an unexpected worry!Anton

Am i right in thinking then that i dont need to use a deer legal calibre (ie.243 and above) for dispatching deer?

Id much rather use a .22-250 for short range (or a shotgun) but wasnt sure that would be legal, when i spoke to the police the lady in the call centre thought it was ok to use discretion but wasnt 100%

You do not need to use a deer legal calibre.I have used .32 pistol/12g/410/ .243 ...the Humane Slaughter Association publications give some very useful guidelines.On free bullet or captive bolt usage, hope that helps, ATB Anton

You are exempted from using deer legal calibres while dispatching wounded deer so long as you reasonably believe that the firearm (or other implement) you are using will cause rapid unconsciousness and death.

From the Deer Act (taken from Deer: Law and Liabilities)

Humane Dispatch