Thread: gun support whilst shooting

gun support whilst shooting

Have just bought myself a set of front and rear sand bags to shoot off and am planning on using these whilst testing some new home loads tomorrow.

How do you prefer to use these ie,

leave the rifle balance on top of the bags and have contact only with the trigger

hold the rifle tightly into shoulder

hold the rifle loosely into shoulder

other

Cheers

David

You want to have the butt placed firmly into the shoulder and adopt a standard 'prone' position, ie. for a right handed shooter, the left arm folds under the chin area and helps provide support to the butt, giving extra stability. If the front bag is very supporting from all angles, don't touch the foreend.

just use them like a bipod

agreed with pkl use your non trigger hand to support the rear butt bag by squeezing or releasing this hand will help adjust your vertical movement just shoot as normal from a pod

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    agreed with pkl use your non trigger hand to support the rear butt bag by squeezing or releasing this hand will help adjust your vertical movement just shoot as normal from a pod
    only really started doing this not too long ago and wow what a difference the heavy t8 helps keep the front down ,far more comfy to shoot like this than stretching out for the forend .to think it was me all along not those rifles!

Cheers Folks, the pesky wind is blowing a gale today but hopefully ill get out tomorrow to test this out.

David

whislst i argree with post comments zero in on bags in fine but ipractice with my equiment sticks bi-pod etc end of the day no-point in pravtice in with gear you wont have in the stalk etc i practice on sticks bi-pod sticks and prone as we all jnow you can not rely on sand bags when stalking .
    zero on bags yes
    practice on bags is know
    i practice using sticks etc bi-pod on tomatoes no doubt i shal hear comments lol

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    whislst i argree with post comments zero in on bags in fine but ipractice with my equiment sticks bi-pod etc end of the day no-point in pravtice in with gear you wont have in the stalk etc i practice on sticks bi-pod sticks and prone as we all jnow you can not rely on sand bags when stalking .
    zero on bags yes
    practice on bags is know
    i practice using sticks etc bi-pod on tomatoes no doubt i shal hear comments lol
    kill those tomatoes they spread that ecoli stuff nothing below 30 cal though juice em!!!