Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling carcasses in the car.

Cooling carcasses in the car.

I hope this hasn't been covered before, here goes.

My brother has just brought a big box of freezer kits. (Designed for relief of sports injuries). They are a plastic bag with crystals in them, which when needed can be mixed i.e. shaken. This causes a chemical reaction inside the sealed bag and causes the contents to freeze down to an advertised -8C. It occurs to me that placed inside the cavity of an animal it would help greatly in lowering the temperature of the meat while in transit from stalking permission to home.

They retail at a few quid each, but if brought in a decent number come out at a pound each.

Mark
    Last edited by buckup; 06-06-2011 at 12:47.

pre frozen 1lt Coke bottle 2/3rd full of water works really well and it cost next to nothing. lasts about 4-8 hours. longer if kept in a salmon chiller box. good if you have to pack carcase home during the day. liver and kidneys in a freezer bag with frozen 250ml coke bottle means they stay fresh on the trip to

Good tip if you are only on a one day trip. The bonus with the crystal ones is they don't freeze till you need them.
    Mark

If im brutally honest, I dont see the point, its not like you are travelling for days.

As long as your gralloching and cleaning skills are good enough the meat will be fine.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 04-06-2011 at 18:19.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

i was always taught that you had to let the carcass come down to ambient temperature on its own.

i dunnoe why ....

i also appreciate if stuck in a roe sack or motor for the day wouldnt be helping

so is there any reason why it "has" to be ambient temp first before it goes into chiller etc???

just wondering

sauer / paul

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    Good tip if you are only on a one day trip. The bonus with the crystal ones is they don't freeze till you need them.
    Mark
    Mark

I don't think that anything other than proper chiller access would solve the problems of a multi day trip.

I know some people take chiller vans when groups go on hunting trips. This means the cost is low when split between a few friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    i was always taught that you had to let the carcass come down to ambient temperature on its own.

i dunnoe why ....

i also appreciate if stuck in a roe sack or motor for the day wouldnt be helping

so is there any reason why it "has" to be ambient temp first before it goes into chiller etc???

just wondering

sauer / paul
    Allowing the carcase to ambient cool means the chiller works more efficiently. Not much of a problem when you have just 1 or 2 roe or muntjac. It gets a bit bigger issue when you start putting fallow or red in. You also get less moisture build up.

All fish, meat vegetable produce starts to degrade once picked or caught or killed. The sooner you can reduce the temp of the product the slower the degrading. You can only slow the process you cant stop it. A deer shot on a early morning summer stalk can get pretty ripe if not dealt with properly.

I had this experience once Costa. Shot a nice fallow buck in early October on a very warm day. I got the animal into a larder (not a chilled fridge) within twenty four hours, after a long drive home without air con in my vehicle. Twenty four hours later i.e. 48 hours after it was shot it was green as grass and high as a kite. Only good as dog meat as far as I was concerned, and only then after being very well cooked.

I'm not flogging the freezer bags, just the idea sounds a good one. I haven't even used them myself. the logic just sounds right.

Mark
    Last edited by buckup; 05-06-2011 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Costas View Post
    Mark

I don't think that anything other than proper chiller access would solve the problems of a multi day trip.

I know some people take chiller vans when groups go on hunting trips. This means the cost is low when split between a few friends.
    When myself and friends have done culls, either wild or park, we have as you suggested hired a Merc chiller van and it was a blessing in disguse, or your only other options is to do a full gralloch and use a local dealer.

On our way home from D&G back to East Yorkshire if we have been successful we pop into Tesco's in Dumfries and buy three or four bags of ice at a pound a bag. Put one in the chest cavity and any spare in the carcasse tray, the tray itself is covered in a blanket. This will keep the carcasses cold for the 4 hour journey home and about 24 hours afterwards.