Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel life for.22 hornet

barrel life for.22 hornet

What kind of barrel life can you expect for a .22 hornet ? How many rounds have hornet users fired through their rifles without losing accuracy ? Thanks

Millions I hope, mine was bought last september and has already consumed 2lb of powder at 11 grains a time, no loss of accuracy yet thankfully.

Neil.

If I told you I have a 12bore 250cartridge carton full (and I mean full)of empty cases you may get an idea.I have had the rifle for many years and am not the best at cleaning it either,

I shoot +/- 1000 rounds a year. Still shoots cloverleafs after 4 years. One fellow on this site has a Brno dated 1949 and it shoots bug hole sized groups. I know; I've shot it myself. No worries about barrel life unless you clean it to death...~Muir

Thanks for the replies, very encouraging. Was in local gunshop a couple of weeks back. and they have had folk trading in .17 Hmr 's for Hornets, little wonder with the price of non reloadable factory ammo ! Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by reiver xxv View Post
    Thanks for the replies, very encouraging. Was in local gunshop a couple of weeks back. and they have had folk trading in .17 Hmr 's for Hornets, little wonder with the price of non reloadable factory ammo ! Thanks again
    depends on what they are to be used for but if most people are realistic about the average range that they shoot vermin at, the hornet fits in very nicely ! yes the .17's are very flat but probably get affected by the wind more and with ammo prices being what they are people are looking at reloading more now, and as you say some people are moving back to hornets.
    I used to have a brno hornet 23 years ago that was almost permanently in the jeep and used for everything legal ! it wasn't new then (built in 1974 so 12 years old then, and very well used )that i put aprox 700-800+ rounds a year through for the 9 years that i owned it ,then i sold it to a dealer friend when i moved to the other end of the country and gave up shooting , i started shooting again a couple of years back and it was still on the dealers shelf ( obviously he gave me to good a price for it as it was still there with the original battle scars on ) i picked it up a few months back and it still shoots as good as it originally did with factory ammo and hopefully with reloads will be much better ( just waiting on the powder to come in to the dealers ).
    I personally would not worry about a hornet being SHOT out !

I have a 1949 BRNO Hornet and that has had a shot or two down it, still accurate and still going strong.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    I would say 8000 plus
    I would say make that a real enormous plus.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

B*** H**** JAYB didnt know you were that much of
    A lot of people north of the border own them should tell us something as to there value as shooting irons.