Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice/thoughts on this mix...

Advice/thoughts on this mix...

Just to give a bit of background - my husband goes rough shooting - we have a Wire Vizsla who is very good at pointing/flushing/retrieving but she has become very gun shy due to an incident (not by us) on a local shoot.

We have heard about a pup who is a GWP/Springer x Brittany - would this mix, with training be suitable for a rough shooter. He has no intention to do field trials etc.

Would just appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Hello

I would not touch it with a barge pole unless you like a challenge. My thoughts are "Hell on earth".

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

That Mix I would think needs a lot of work all the breeds in that x are very pushy to say the least why not fix the gun shyness in the HWV can be that bad for stalking .

Yes 6 pointer is right there only you know how bad it is but why not try walking the HWV from say 3 miles away from a clay shoot towards it. A little at a time and a little encouragement might do the trick after a concerted effort.

Plenty of clay shoots this time of year.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

We've tried everything you have suggested and more with the Wire - but her fear is such that she just collapses on the ground - even the sight of a gunslip is enough to turn her into her slavering wreck. We want to get in another young dog - and i think after your comments and those of others that we will leave this mix well alone and concentrate on finding another Vizsla. Thanks for your comments.

Waht happened to make her so gun shy ?

If your dog is this badly affected you will struggle to ever fully cure her.I have a 4 month old GWP dog for sale if you are interested.He is a lovely strong liver and white pup from an extremely well bred litter.Both parents work and have low hip scores and are dna tested clear for Vwb disease.He has had all his vaccinations and been regularly wormed and treated with frontline.I would let him go for a sensible price to a good working home.Pm me if you are intersted.
    simon b.

On a shoot and we had just unloaded dogs from the car - the shoot hadnt begun when a guy decided to open fire - she literally hit the ground and was stiff with fear - he was very, very close to her. Arsehole. We tried to carry on but that day was lost...we have tried everything with her. Added to this, she has a condition (anal furunculosis) which is thought to be aggravated by stress - hence the reason that stressing her anymore is not a good idea.

I've just spoken to the guy with the above mentioned x - he tells me that he shoots and that he uses them in all aspects of HPR work and that the only problem he has with them is that they are very 'soft' (his words) and that training and encouragement need to be softy, softly.

Not perhaps what i imagined from this mix?

Simon - pup sounds lovely, but its a bitch we are after - thank you anyway.

Ok.Thanks for reply.Hope you find a nice pup.
    simon b.

I think that the chaps do will be the exception to the rule. Shame about the wire just becarefull it dont pass on to your new pup.Alot of times pups look round to see what the reaction is round them to sounds and sights before deciding about danger. But you can fix your dog with a little bit of work it might not be a gun dog but will make a good stalking dog you will need to get it to thinking that guns gun bags are good not bad. My MATE HAD A DOG LIKE YOURS THAT WOULD HIDE EVEN IF THE GUN WAS BROUGHT OUT. IT TOOK A WHILE BUT GOOD FAMILIARISATION WORKED. EG FED ON GUN BAGS NEXT TO GUNS PLAYING WITH TOYS ROUND THE SHOOTING EQUIPMENT ONLY USEING THE RIFLE IF THERE IS A DEAD CERT KILL ETC LOTS OF DIFERNT STUFF. IF ALL THAT FAILS THEN START ON THE NEW DOG IDEA THE PUP WILL TAKE LONGER TO TRAIN THAN AN ALREADY TRAINED DOG.