Tracking shoe tips

Paul 600

As per the title, any body got any tips on how best to use them? Thanks to Mark and Allison and of course that online auction site, Bargain!

This is through experiment and trial. The slot should be about 1" below the sole. You must learn to walk so that the slot gets a good contact with the ground ie heel hitting the ground first. Dip the slots in blood before you start. Slots do have scent glands but I am of the opinion that through use the scent fades. Dipping in blood just gets them back in condition for trailing.Obviously if you have a good supply the fresher the better but you can use them a good few times.

They can be used on their own or you can add in blood beds, pieces of flesh/ hair, sprays of blood. In doing blood sprays it is worth considering that as a wounded beast runs blood does not just drip from it onto the trail - blood can spray from the bullet wound and would be to the side of the trail.

I have the shoes and the thing i find is that they are hard going when laying a trail over rough ground. I have also dragged the hoof on a peice of string and personaly i don't think it makes any difference if i use the shoes or the string method.
You can use hooves many times but they must smell fresh.
I never put blood on the hooves. In fact once the dog is up to a reasonable standard i use about a table spoonof blood for a 600mtr trail. I also water the blood 50% with water. Thats because i'm tight and it make the blood last longer. Once the training is underway i make the dog work on the trail.
Some think that useing the shoes cuts down on human scent but we leave behind a whole range of human scent when laying a trail not just foot scent.

www.prokennel.se

Here is a question would you use the rear legs or the front for this. Also how can you look cool walking in those stupid looking moon boots. Is there a more dressy type i could get you that maybe look like brogues when the leg is removed .;)

On the rare occaisions that I do any formal training with my dogs I just cable tie a lower leg to the bottom of my stick. JC

One of each mate, made mine out of bits of bits of 4b2, just routered a groove in the bottom and screw the hoof in,they have been cut shoe shape and strap onto your boots..... back to the 70s, platform boots:lol:

:rofl: @ Nell come on mate you must have a picture of your self in these or if not in the old platforms. I hope they are not the Gary Glitter type silver :lol:

I use one from the front and one from the back and I don't put any blood on the hooves, only a few drops on along the trail. You want the dog too follow the scent of the hooves as they may not always be any blood!. If the hooves are a few days old I will put slits in the bottom of them.

I use one from the front and one from the back and I don't put any blood on the hooves, only a few drops on along the trail. You want the dog too follow the scent of the hooves as they may not always be any blood!. If the hooves are a few days old I will put slits in the bottom of them.

Why one front and rear?

:rofl: @ Nell come on mate you must have a picture of your self in these or if not in the old platforms. I hope they are not the Gary Glitter type silver :lol:

I acctually had a pair of platform chelsea boots,whilst running bown the back field both heels snapped off:lol: it maybe best part of 40 years ago ,but i still remember thinking i had broken my legs as i couldnt walk when i reached the bottom of the hill:lol:

My sent shoes work fine, will try and put a pic up

as nell said. deer have two if each, so why not use one of each! Though not 100% it makes the trail any more realistic.

You could make a pair In this style:lol:
shoes.jpg

Back