Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1926 big game mauser 9 1/4" action .338 Win Mag

1926 big game mauser 9 1/4" action .338 Win Mag

WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER - OBERNDORF A/N
    Square bridge Magnum action, chambered now in .338 Win Mag

A
    ccording to Rigby Rifles almost certainly for the East African Big Game market and chambered in .404 Jeffrey, they kindly checked the action serial number against the records they hold and were able to date it accurately to 1926.
    I bought this in 1981 it had just been re-barrelled in .338 Winchester Magnum with a Douglas Match Grade Barrel by Vic Ilsley a well known gunsmith and Ex-RAF armourer in Liverpoool. I used this rifle on the ranges and for Red Deer Stalking, it has not seen very much use in the past 20 years as I have used more appropriate calibres for stalking and 338 is now banned from MOD ranges. I had the stock re-finished 18 months ago and a new recoil pad fitted, the wood has come up really well. I fitted a Jaeger trigger some 5 years ago but I still have the original Mauser trigger as well. This would make a superb 'Pig' Gun or Plains Game Rifle. Or it could be returned to its original calibre .404 Jeffrey and used once again for the Big Five, this was my intention once the 338 barrel was past its best. I only became aware of its real value some ten years ago when I completed my DSC Level 1 at Thirlmere and was engaged in conversation with a fellow student who was something of an authority on Mauser Rifles. Dies, bullets (hornady 200gr., 225gr, 250gr. Nosler 210gr, Barnes 210 gr.) and about 100 cases, 50 new unfired Nosler Custom included + qty of loaded ammo (50-100 rounds, 200, 210, 225, 250gr),
    Sadly for sale now at 2500 Face to face or to RFD
    thanks for looking FlyBoy270
    Last edited by FlyBoy270; 10-06-2011 at 08:23. Reason: info added

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy270 View Post
    WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER - OBERNDORF A/N
    Square bridge Magnum action, chambered now in .338 Win Mag

A
    ccording to Rigby Rifles almost certainly for the East African Big Game market and chambered in .404 Jeffrey, they kindly checked the action serial number against the records they hold and were able to date it accurately to 1926.
    I bought this in 1981 it had just been re-barrelled in .338 Winchester Magnum with a Douglas Match Grade Barrel by Vic Ilsley a well known gunsmith and Ex-RAF armourer in Liverpoool. I used this rifle on the ranges and for Red Deer Stalking, it has not seen very much use in the past 20 years as I have used more appropriate calibres for stalking and 338 is now banned from MOD ranges. I had the stock re-finished 18 months ago and a new recoil pad fitted, the wood has come up really well. I fitted a Jaeger trigger some 5 years ago but I still have the original Mauser trigger as well. This would make a superb 'Pig' Gun or Plains Game Rifle. Or it could be returned to its original calibre .404 Jeffrey and used once again for the Big Five, this was my intention once the 338 barrel was past its best. I only became aware of its real value some ten years ago when I completed my DSC Level 1 at Thirlmere and was engaged in conversation with a fellow student who was something of an authority on Mauser Rifles.
    Sadly for sale now at 2500 Face to face or to RFD
    thanks for looking FlyBoy270
    what a beauty. And although I have nowhere near that disposable income (or it would be mine), I would have thought that is one hell of a deal and actually pretty underpriced...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

+1 to harrygrey's comments, plus there's the small problem of where you'd use it and convince the FEO (in Suffolk, anyway) that you need it. Mine was difficult about a 300 Win Mag - hate to think what he'd say about a 338, let alone 404 Jeffrey!

I just got .416 Rem mag for Reds - don't give in too easily.

Was that just for reds, or did Africa, for example, come into the discussions?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    +1 to harrygrey's comments, plus there's the small problem of where you'd use it and convince the FEO (in Suffolk, anyway) that you need it. Mine was difficult about a 300 Win Mag - hate to think what he'd say about a 338, let alone 404 Jeffrey!
    Nottm gave me a .338 on my ticket a couple of months ago for deer. I think I still have a copy of my application for it. If you're thinking of applying i can dig it out so you can see if the wording is of any use to you. Let me know

Just got the .338 back from the gunsmith who's fitted a pair of Apel bases to it so i can interchange my Z5 Swarovski between it and my sauer. Took some work, because he needed to drill out new holes for the .338 so that both sets of bases were the same width apart. Expensive, but it effectively halves the cost of my scope and because it's ballistic turreted i can set zero for both rifles. Just cant wait to get on the range and try it out now :o)

atb and good luck if you apply

Scrun

Hi Scrun

Interesting - which range can you use it on? I thought the MoD had banned all 338 calibres?

I wouldn't mind seeing the form of words you used (even if I just re-visit the 300WM) - you can pm it if you prefer, or I can send you an e-mail address.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

will have a look tomorrow and see if i can find it to pm it to you

I shoot at the Epperstone Range Nottingham - and I've also spoken to Carl at Catton Hall, Derbyshire and he told me that provided I have an open licence he's happy for me to shoot the .338 there on the range days. Only problem is that I havent been able to get there yet :o/

ATB

Andrew (too or should that be two ?)

What a beauty. I always find it interesting that in the great days of this sort of gunmaking how "ordinary" the stocks looked. The makers knew that "handsome is as handsome does" and just wanted a tight straight grain all the way through so that it was really strong!

David.

Well Kalahari, we all know of our mutual friend who's nicely figured stock snapped across the wrist!