Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hunting bullet neck tension

hunting bullet neck tension

hello was reading a post yesterday and it got me thinking of neck tension on my bullets what do you guys think is the best neck tension for hunting rounds mine are at around 3 thou i allow up to 4 thou of runout before i cull brass i dont turn necks but this i beleive will help with runout if i do though

so is it worth turning necks and what do you guys or girls prefer for neck tension or am i looking to deep into this

kris

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    hello was reading a post yesterday and it got me thinking of neck tension on my bullets what do you guys think is the best neck tension for hunting rounds mine are at around 3 thou i allow up to 4 thou of runout before i cull brass i dont turn necks but this i beleive will help with runout if i do though

so is it worth turning necks and what do you guys or girls prefer for neck tension or am i looking to deep into this

kris
    Kris - I think you are looking too deeply into this and will potentially fall in a hole that could fund a new rifle. PM me a number if you want a chat. Rgds JCS

cheers jcampbellsmith i was hoping you come in on this one you seem to be the reloading guy on this site your definatly right all this is due to 2 custom rifles and these have all the assosiated problems for owners looking to sqeeze every last mm of accuracy

thanks mate think i was just looking for that warm fuzzy feeling of someone like you telling me

kris

Neck tension, I have refrained from measuring them (head buried in sand)
    All I have checked is that the guide part of my Lyman flaring die is not
    opening the case neck up.

Neil.

cheers neil im taking it the general feeling is leave this alone unless your a long range bench shooter

Would some kind soul educate me as to how tension in/on the neck is measured?, the actual frictional measure exerted upon the bullet? how is it's value arrived at?.......... I just crimp in varying degrees.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

i do it by measureing a empty sized case then a loaded one and subracting the remainder is your neck tension guys can adjust it by using a bushing die or tinkering with a conventional die apart from measureing and understanding it most of it is beyond me to be honest and as stated above by cleverer men than not really that much of an issue mate

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Would some kind soul educate me as to how tension in/on the neck is measured?, the actual frictional measure exerted upon the bullet? how is it's value arrived at?.......... I just crimp in varying degrees.
    One view is as follows: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...k-tension.html Regards JCS

gr1ffer.. im also interested in this.. im getting about 7 thou neck tension through my standard RCBS die. Im also worried that by using a standard resizing die with expander ball that not only are you reducing case life but possibly ruining your cases. Im also thinking that around 3 thou is optimum as any less and the bullet may move in the case in the mag under recoil. hmm. Im from the club where if you have the time and are interested then do it.. Its a fascinating subject and it grips my poo when people say its too anal, and we should get out and stalk more.. let me know your findings and i will do the same. Im in the process of getting some dies and bushings to try..

cheers flyfishing man it will good to compare as im loading for a 7mm08 also done alot of research on subject at the minute i use lee dies and to be honest im happy as my neck tension and runout seem fine however im looking into down sizing 308 lapua brass to 7mm08 and was looking as i think ill have to start neck turning i reckon i can get away not reaming inside but i think ill have to turn necks
    let me know what you think on this subject i would appreciate any input as you load same caliber

cheers
    kris