Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulsar n550 on 308 for piggies

Question pulsar n550 on 308 for piggies

i'm buying a pulsar n550 for bunnie bashing but am very tempted to get 1 for the 308 barrel of my blaser as i only seem to use the 308 for pigs(boar) and 243 for most other things ( deer & fox) and was wondering if anyone else had any experience as i thought it may be usefull as the light changes to dark as the boar move through dusk right into the night where i shoot? PS the boar usually come between 50-150yds from me while i'm sat up. anyone got an opinion or experience before i blow my hard earned cash.
    Last edited by CWMMAN3738; 06-06-2011 at 23:05.

A friend has one and it would do the job you mention - especially with an up-graded IR illuminator. Our pigs seem to be able to detect IR, so try and avoid fully lighting them up before the shot.

No idea as to whether these units will handle 30 cal recoil without dying, something you will want to check before purchase.

Edited: Also watch out for eye-relief or it could be surgically implanted! An IR laser will make a huge difference to effective range of this unit.

Rgds

Ian
    Last edited by IanF; 07-06-2011 at 13:03.

i used one for a couple of weeks on my 223 for fox. the nv came with the additional ir illuminator to give more range. to be honest i found it usable out to about 100m after that i wouldnt want to rely on identifying targets safely with it, this is just my experience and hopefully you will have more success with your scope. I personally think the idea is good but the technology may take another year or so to mature. if your targets are within 100m then you should be ok with it. i would also check how sensitive it will be to recoil, they are mainly aimed at rimfire or air rifles shooters so i dont know what effect the 308 will have on the internals.

keith

One of my french relatives has had one on a 300WM and it has survived for at least a couple of years. However, I don't know how many rounds he has put through it. If it is important, I could try to find out for you.

I know he has done the video camera lens mod to increase magnification and has a home-built illuminator running at 850nm (thus making it completely invisible to all animals), and the end result is startling with visibility out to about 300m. He got all the modification details from Youtube (apparently). I secretly covet it but haven't yet convinced myself that the 1k or so he's spent is worth it.
    Last edited by Knottaclu; 07-06-2011 at 15:48.

Head above parapet time............but innit a tad unsporting to be shooting at piggies with a nightsight. Do we want a solid established population or a few notches on our rifle stocks and then wonder where all the boar have gone ???

All I can see is that a great many people are willing to do DEFRA's dirty work for them....

firstly i won't be wiping them out i havn't shot 1 yet this year and only 2 last year dispite the fact that i see them on a weekly basis as i said in the post i thought it would be good on the change from dusk to dark on the night in question i sat with my girlfriend watching 2 roe bucks when 2 boar and 3 young came past at about 75-80 yards my girlfriend wa amazed i think there's a place in our country for all creatures and wouldn't want any to dissapear in fact i would love to see more of them deer and boar in WALES as we are a bit short compared to other areas dispite having a great enviroment suitable for them and as for doing DEFRA's dirty work rest asured that while populations need to be controled as they have no natural preditors except MAN it hasn't been the goverment (DEFRA) who have managed our countryside for hundreads of years it's been people with common sense and compashion for the countryside in which they live and work like GILLIES & KEEPERS for generationd it's only recently that the goverment has taken to showing an intrest (MEDDLING IN MANY CASES)in enviromental issues as a vote winner as people have become more aware of the need for conservation and protection of our enviroment, anyway don't want to start a huge debate (BIT LATE NOW) I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE SCOPE, PEOPLES EXPERIENCES AND IF IT WOULD HANDLE THE RECOIL AS THE RANGE WILL BE ADEQUITE FOR WHAT DISTANCE I SHOOT THEM AT.

Hi, although my comments are on your thread they were not aimed in particular at yourself, as it now seems common practise by many who pursue wildboar to use nightvision and lamps. The more such methods are employed the more 'accepatable' they will become, when IMO, we should really be taking a step back as asking ourselves whether it is acceptable, whether it is 'fair chase', and whether our fledging boar population deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Hi, although my comments are on your thread they were not aimed in particular at yourself, as it now seems common practise by many who pursue wildboar to use nightvision and lamps. The more such methods are employed the more 'accepatable' they will become, when IMO, we should really be taking a step back as asking ourselves whether it is acceptable, whether it is 'fair chase', and whether our fledging boar population deserves better.
    Hi Mudman
    I have had this conversation lots of times.

Personaly I would love nothing more than to see lots of wildboar around our area however the farmers we do the "MANAGEMENT"for are not so keen.
    We like nothing more than to hunt them by "fair chase" methods which I have done in the UK and abroad but it is not effecient enough on our ground.

12 full moons a year some of them will not be usable due to weather/cloud/commitments we had an average over a few years of seeing boar maybe 1-3 outings and shooting 1-5 (with lamps and NV) some crops and woods dont let enough moon light in to shoot anyway. You do the maths?????

It is also very different in a England to the continent, we can't go tracking a "runner" through the neigbours woods we hunt small farms surrounded by FC woodland so we dont want to have to do any follow ups.

We use heavy cal's ie 8x68, 375 H&H to limit the distance they run but as always shot placment is key and if useing a lamp or a night vision gives us a greater chance of doing this more precisely then I will use it. The lamp is knocked alot for use on boar but its the only way you can see the reaction to the shot and get a follow up shot if there is a problem.
    Also rembember the boar in our areas have had a lot of hunting pressure they are well switched on and get the better of us quite regular even when we use these aids.

Hope this helps explain the reality of "our" UK boar hunting.

Atb

Wayne

Sorry for going off topic I'd also like to know how this scope copes with recoil????
    Last edited by WAYNE DAVIES; 08-06-2011 at 09:14. Reason: off topic

I AGREE WITH BOTH PIONTS AND THINK THAT IT ALL FALLS DOWN TO COMMON SENSE AND RESPECT OF THE BOAR POPULATION ON YOUR AREA (& MINE I ASUME F.O.D.) IN THE F.O.D. THE POPULATION HAS GROWN GREATLY AND AGAIN THIS YEAR THE F C HAS FAILED TO MEET IT'S CULL TARGETS DISPITE USING VARIOUS METHODS SO IT IS A QUESTION OF MANAGEMENT. IF DUE TO WEATHER WE DO NOT HAVE SUFFICENT DAYS TO SHOOT SPORTINGLY THE NUMBERS REQUIRED TO CONTROL THE POPULATION THEN OTHER METHODS NEED TO BE EMPLOYED TO KEEP THEM IN CHECK OR WE RUN THE RISK OF A BACKLASH FROM FARMERS AND THE COUNCIL FOR DAMAGE WHICH COULD RESULT IN HUGE CULLS OR EVEN THE INTENDEDREMOVAL OF THEM FROM AN AREA UNDER PREASURE SO KEEPING THEM IN CHECK BY WHATEVER METHODS IS IS ACCEPTABLE TO ME FOR THEIR FUTURE WELLBEING AS A WILD SPECIES IN THE UK. JUST GOOD MANAGEMENT!

PERHAPS WE COULD PURSUADE DEFRA TO DART AND TRANSFER THE SURPLUS BOAR IN THE R.F.D. TO OTHER AREAS WOULDN'T THAT BE GREATI WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM IN THE SOUTH WALES VALLEYS.
    Last edited by CWMMAN3738; 08-06-2011 at 10:09.

Big cage trap + transit van