Thread: Spaniel in the back of my truck

Spaniel in the back of my truck

I carry my springer in the back of my Toyota truck, she's fully trained and always travels in the back. I don't tie the dog. Is this illegal and have I got to carry the dog in the front ?

Common sence would tell you to have your dog in a proper dog box in the back of your truck. would you let a child ride in that manner with out any restraint.

I'm talking about a dog not children and I'm in the country mostly single track roads where all the farming and rural workers have their dogs in the back of their trucks. I'm looking for a legal answer, is it legal or not ?

It is illegal on a public highway but i don`t know about private land.
    I can get a number of a lad who makes dog boxes if you want it. I do agree with Jagare though, i wouldn`t want a dog the size of a lab or spaniel smacking me in the back of the head if i had to anchor up.basil.

So there are plenty of dum people in the country side driving around with there dogs dogs in the back of there trucks. Legal or not i have my dogs where they come to no harm while travelling in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    I can get a number of a lad who makes dog boxes if you want it. I do agree with Jagare though, i wouldn`t want a dog the size of a lab or spaniel smacking me in the back of the head if i had to anchor up.basil.
    Thanks mate we'll have to change the habbits of a lifetime and find somewhere to put the spaniels and pointers when on the move. Is this new or have we always been breaking the law, including the shepherds and farmers who have travelled their dogs this way since I was a child, and that's a long time ago.

Re: Spaniel in the back of my truck

Quote Originally Posted by david w more
    Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Thanks mate we'll have to change the habbits of a lifetime and find somewhere to put the spaniels and pointers when on the move. Is this new or have we always been breaking the law, including the shepherds and farmers who have travelled their dogs this way since I was a child, and that's a long time ago.
    I`m not sure if i read it on a website, but there was a tale of a labrador that was tossed out of a pick up when the vehicle hit a bump. The dogs tail went under a wheel and the tail got skinned, literally. Better to be safe than sorry and dare i say, you owe it to your dog to keep him safe.
    basil.

you wanted a yes or no answer to the legality of your post maybe the post should have been entered into the legal section. instead its now subject to peoples opinions.

i dont know the law either on it would be interested to find out though.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Xim
    you wanted a yes or no answer to the legality of your post maybe the post should have been entered into the legal section. instead its now subject to peoples opinions.

i dont know the law either on it would be interested to find out though.
    good luck
    Thanks, your correct of course I have it in the wrong section.
    Regards